We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
220 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

It't a little premature, I know, because I don't even have the bicycle yet, but I'm sure I'll have figured out how to ride by May.

Anyone done this 'Great Western Bicycle Rally'? Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay that's close to the fairgrounds?

I've been wanting to get to Paso Robles and this seems like a good time to combine biking and wining.

Thanks,

Patuli

if you want info. on the rally it's www.GreatWesternBicycleRally.com

SoCal
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

I've done solvang century a few times. That's a nice ride with rolling hills. You should train by riding 4x per week with a longer ride on the weekend. Get up to 75% of the distance you plan to ride or the gorilla will get on your back.

Also learn to ride in a pack if you can to learn pack ettiquette. This is more about safety than anything. You don't want to switch sides on the road when someone is coming up and passing you. I've seen a lot of broken bones and bikes because of careless riding. Not that you have to be scared, but just ride, ride straight down the road, and enjoy.

Cycling is great. Take it easy. Building endurance means ride slow and steady. Fast riding is for racing and developing anaerobic power. Just pretend on every ride that you plan to ride 100 miles. That's the right pace for a beginner. Speed is only needed if you plan to ride with Lance.

Good luck!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Hi Chillax,

Thank you for the response and sage advice. I won't be doing the Century - but they have different rides with varying degress of distance and challenge, so we'll probably be doing those.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Patuli

SoCal
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Patuli,

You'll have a great time. The SB area is one of my favorite places to ride. The SLO area is supposed to be more of the same goodness. Cycling is more addicting than running. It's easy on the joints, and you can go places. I started out as a casual recreational rider, and now I'm a bike nut. Good wine, good roads, good food, nice weather... it'll be a blast!

Oh yeah roadbikereview.com is a good place to get cycling related info. You can get more advice there about gear, clothing, etc.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Thanks Chillax. I picked up my bike yesterday! I went for a small ride and although a bit scary going downhill, it was great. I could definitely see becoming a bike nut. I hope I do.

I'll check out that website.

Patuli

calif
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Hi, Yes I know a lot about the bicycle rally in paso robles, my business and i are co-directors of this event. this is a 3-day cycling event, held at the paso robles event center (fairgrounds). if you check our web site we have listed hotel room in the area.. there is a swap meet on friday night, wine and cheese on saturaday night along with a best of bike show. sunday night is a cook out and our final evening program. theres lots of cycling,clinics,women's ride,hill climb, 10 time trial and the all famous "huffy toss" This is our 43rd year and 29th in Paso Robles.

contact me at sharon@greatwesternbicyclerally.com

calif
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Hi, Yes I know a lot about the bicycle rally in paso robles, my business and i are co-directors of this event. this is a 3-day cycling event, held at the paso robles event center (fairgrounds). if you check our web site we have listed hotel room in the area.. there is a swap meet on friday night, wine and cheese on saturaday night along with a best of bike show. sunday night is a cook out and our final evening program. theres lots of cycling,clinics,women's ride,hill climb, 10 time trial and the all famous "huffy toss" This is our 43rd year and 29th in Paso Robles.

contact me at sharon@greatwesternbicyclerally.com

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

Hi Mymoots -

We signed up and I'm so looking forward to it. I'm hoping there will be some fairly easy short distance rides, sounds like there will be. And of course we're interested in the ride that goes to a winery for tastings -

We splurged and booked at Hotel Cheval, a new hotel in town. It's our anniversary, so why not - plus I'm sure a bath will be needed after some bike rides.

Thanks and I'll see you there!

8. Re: Anyone done the Bicycle rally in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 18:19