We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

Wow, what a great area! We're used to Temecula because it's close, but now we know that Paso is so worth the extra couple hours' drive. Filed a review on Budget Inn, it was a good value property. Limo on Saturday with California Limousine. We did 8 hours and had reservations at 8 wineries (not all of us tasted at all 8). Thanks to lots of hydration, we did OK. The list included Turley, L'Aventure, Denner, Booker, Donati, Castoro, Grey Wolfe, and Hunt. My overall favorite was L'Aventure, but everyone in the group had a different favorite - in general it does seem like you get what you pay for though. We are all reds lovers, but were surprised by several good Viogners. But oh my, there were some great big wonderful reds at Turley, L'Aventure, Denner and Booker! If you have a group, you really should make reservations. We couldn't believe how accommodating the wineries were, especially for a Saturday. Most of them set our group up in our own area and made us feel like VIPs. California Limousine was also a amazing. We use limos a lot for Temecula wineries, but we've never had an experience this good. RJ really anticipated everything and spoiled us. My only disappointment was that I'd emailed 1 week in advance an easy wish list of non-alcoholic stuff (diet coke, gatorade, diet dr. pepper) for them to sub out for the rum and vodka and sugared sodas. We didn't get those, but what disappointed me was that the company didn't bother to reply to my email to say they wouldn't provide - would've been easy for us to bring our own. Still though, RJ's service made up for it. Other highlights were Silver Stone winery in town (Jennifer was just the coolest!), Panolivo for dinner and pastries, Justin for lunch, and DiRaimondo Cheese (oh, the Balarina and the Fluer Verte!!!). Well, it's back on the diet, but we'll definitely be back!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
221 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for the advice on booking with a group for tasting. We have 6 of us for the harvest weekend and will be going to L'Aventure - which I hear is small.

Also, you reminded me how much I loved Turley, so I'll have to stop by and select some wine.

Don't know if you've been to the Los Olivos/Santa Ynez area for wine, but it's a little closer and also has some great wineries.

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

Thanks for the report, we have not been to Turley but would love to try it if we do the Harvest tour in a few weeks. :)

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

We did make it to Turley and loved their Zins, they are a bit more pricey than other Zins in the area, we purchased a bottle of their 2006 Dusi Vineyard Zin, yum! :)

4. Re: wine-tasting trip report 9/27 weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:22