We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our perfect winery...

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Our perfect winery...

Last year TripAdvisor's forum recommended Rancho Sisquoc Winery as a picture-perfect winery/tasting room for my girlfriend and I to visit while in the Santa Ynez Valley.

We are now planning a trip that will take us to Paso Robles and we'd like to find somewhere equivalent. Let me tell you our 'requirements':

1. Small, intimate, sleepy, almost shack or shed-like tasting room. No big commercial set-up.

2. Beautiful surroundings and backdrop, be it vineyards, gardens, rolling hills, mountains etc.

3. Off the beaten track and a little hard to find, rewarding when you do.

Anywhere spring to mind?

Thank you.

Level Contributor
34,983 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our perfect winery...

Consider Victor Hugo in Templeton or Dover Canyon. Have fun! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our perfect winery...

Well, nothing in Paso came to mind, but if you're traveling northward through San Luis Obispo, one place popped into my mind right away when I read your list of "requirements" for "shack/shed like". Kynsi Winery off Corbett Canyon Road in Edna Valley is off the beaten path (tucked away off the road) in a rustic building with views of the surrounding hills/valleys. The plus is that they have VERY good wine.

http://kynsi.com/cm/contact/Home.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our perfect winery...

Kynsi looks great. I fear it won't work for us because my military-planned schedule means we won't be arriving into SLO until after their tasting room closes and we have to be heading north earlier than they open. But it is on the list and fitting the bill as well as it does I'll be looking for a way to make it work. Thanks, Kibblesmom.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our perfect winery...

There are many great wineries to explore in the PR area and a lot of them meet your requirements. I have been several times and still have plenty more to hit. Seems like every time I go there are 2 or 3 new places to try. IMO the better wineries are west of Hwy 101. Doesn't mean that there are not good wineries on the east side, just my opinion. Also everyone has a different palate.

Some of my favorites for reds are the Far Out wineries. (Vineyard Drive, north of Hwy 46). Opolo is one of my favorites. Their tasting room is definitely shed-like. Jada has an intimate tasting room with artwork and a balcony. Dover Canyon has a small tasting room and some good zins. Zenaida is off 46 closer to town and has a good zinfandel. Calacareous is not a Far Out winery but has a pretty backdrop as you are on a hill looking east towards PR. The tasting romm is deinintely not shed-like but there are picnic tables you can eat at outside on the patio. L'Aventure is off the beaten path with a small tasting room. They have gotten high marks for their wines but they are pricey.

Many of the wineries in the PR area are smaller places where it is not unusual to have the owner/winemaker be the one pouring for you. Others might include: Wild Coyote, Dark Star, Caliza, Red Soles, Booker, Brian Benson.. Well, you get the idea. If you go to Pasowine.com you can print up a map and explore the area yourself. I am planning on being there this weekend and doing some tasting myself. Hope this helps.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
183 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our perfect winery...

Hands down, Opolo. They make excellent wines. The tasting room is a large shed. It's definitely off the beaten path, accessible by a country road lined with mossy trees. It's a lovely drive.

http://www.opolo.com

Level Contributor
34,983 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our perfect winery...

Another great one: Wild Coyote, they are known as "the house of reds." It is a very cool, Southwestern-style place with awesome Zins and Merlots. Funky and fun! :)

Edited: 03 February 2011, 06:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our perfect winery...

Thank you Gdude7, GumdropGirl and syrahgirl for your replies.

I know it's perfectly legitimate for this thread to turn into a conversation about the wine, especially as I haven't said anything in the original post to help stop it, but I'm not actually that interested in the wine.

I don't drink and my girlfriend is a very casual drinker.

Our bigger interest is in finding the beautiful, remote, intimate wineries for the adventure of getting there and the romance of the location.

So I would appreciate it (even if others don't, lol) if heavier consideration was given in suggestions to the place rather than the wine.

Thank you.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our perfect winery...

Okay. If you're interested in the drive, etc. Here's what I recommend. Take Hwy 46 west and turn north on Vineyard Drive. The road is somewhat windy, lined by trees with spanish moss trailing down from them. It's a pretty drive and there are there are several good wineries (Opolo, Jada, Dover, etc) along the way to choose from. L'Aventure is still a place you might want to hit as they have some good wines and you have to take a dirt road to get there. They also fit the description of what you are looking for (in a barn).

I would consider Calcareous for the view even though it does not necessarily fit your description. I am told that Croad also has a nice hilltop view but have not been there. Hope this is what you're looking for.

P.S. I would still print the map off of Google.

So, Cal
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our perfect winery...

We visited Cass this last trip out, this is a pretty good drive on the east side. We thought the wines very tasty but this is no shack of a tasting room. They also have real food available, the selection isn't extensive but sufficient if you want more than simple cheeses and breads to munch down on.

A sample menu:

casswines.com/Cafe---Catering/Current-Cafe-M…

I really enjoyed the drive out to this winery. Bring a GPS, because spotting streets signs in this far out winery can be challenging . The road isn't as conductive to U-turns and side turns are not frequent if you pass it.

Level Contributor
34,983 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our perfect winery...

Cass looks very good, it's one we have yet to try. A complimentary glass or flight of wine is served with your entree. I like places that offer food while wine tasting. First place we'll visit when we're in Paso again! :)