We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries for wedding party

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries for wedding party

Hello! I am from Texas but am doing a destination wedding and getting married on a vineyard in PR this June. We are treating our wedding party to a wine trolley tour and would love input on which wineries to visit. Just to give you an idea of our group: we are all in our late 20s, there will be mainly couples on the tour and there is a wide variety of wine knowledge from couple to couple. We are interested in visiting different types of vineyards- great wine, good views, great service for large groups, fun atmosphere, etc.

My fiance and I visited Paso last June, but were only able to cover about 5 or 6 wineries, so would love your input. I've created a list of a few we have come up with and if you could let us know your thoughts on each of these (or if you have other suggestions) that would be great. Please remember that these places must be able to accommodate a group of 22 or so... I know that we also need to consider proximity of the places to one another- we are leaving from a house that is near Opolo:) We plan on doing the tour from 11am until the wineries close:) we figure that we can do 4-5 wineries in this timeframe, with a stop for picnic lunch at one of these?

Here are a few wineries that we have found or been to that we are interested in hearing your input about:

1. Opolo

2. Calcareous

3. Croad

4. Halter Ranch

5. Four Vines

6. Lone Madrone

7. Mitchella

8. Grey Wolf

9. Adelaida

10. Zenaida

11. Oso Libre

The trolley owner suggested Adelaida, Halter Ranch (with lunch stop here), Oso Libre and Croad, but I just wanted to get a few other opinions:)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Level Contributor
35,256 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries for wedding party

We have been to 7 places on your list. Zenaida is one of my favorites in the area, especially during Harvest Weekend when they have the tables set up outside with the checkered tablecloths. We also love Doce Robles and Robert Hall in this area. If you are a Zin lover, I would not miss a visit to Turley. Finish your day of tasting off with a meal at Artisan. Have fun! :)

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries for wedding party

With a group that large it might be wise to call ahead and let them know you are coming. Some of those tasting rooms are on the smaller side & might have a hard time accommodating a large group. Also with that big a group and doing lunch you will be lucky to make it to 4 places.

Opolo-Have some great zins. Also some good red blends. One of my favorites. I almost always stop by when in the area. They can be tasting up to 8 wines and sometimes will open something else if you ask. You can spend a bit of time there.Tasting room is nothing special but can accommodate a large group.

Calcareous- Is on a mountain top and has a great view from the picnic area. Like their rhone blend.

Croad-has a nice patio area. Bought a bottle of Karakia there a while back.

Halter Ranch-has a picnic are but not a view like at Calcareous. People were very nice.

Lone Madrone-A friend of mine really likes their Old Hat Zin. Haven't been there in awhile & can't recall details about their tasting room.

Zenaida-Was a member of their club at one time. They do a great job on zins.

Oso Libre-Bought a bottle of their Primitivo last time there. Had a great conversation with the owner. Nice guy.

Others I would consider would be Jada (great reds, nice deck off the tasting room), Proulx (bought a nice red blend, very nice people), maybe Red Soles. However there are many others worthy of consideration. These are just some that i have been to myself.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries for wedding party

Thank y'all both so much for your replies! I will definitely look into Jada. I really had my heart set on Calcareous- I hear the views are great for a picnic and none of my crew has ever been to Paso, so I thought it would be great for them to see. However, the trolley owner seems to think that it takes forever to get to. Do you remember how long it took from Opolo? That is where we are leaving from- I know it says 6 miles on google maps- but that might take a while on windy roads in a big trolley. Do you think that it would be worth the drive? Or should we use all the time we have to be at a winery instead of driving?

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries for wedding party

I've driven from Opolo to Calcareous a few times. The road is narrow & twisty and you have to go slow. Can't remember for sure how long it took but it couldn't have been more than 12-15 min in my truck. Might be longer in a trolley.

Get on line and google Paso Robles Wine Trail. You can print a map and look it over. Not all the wineries are on it but many are. Jada, Opolo, & Oso Libre are all on Vineyard Drive & within a few miles of each other. Vineyard Drive north of Hwy 46 is a pretty drive. There are a lot of oak trees trailing Spanish Moss. Grey Wolf, Zenaida, Lone Madrone (& many others) are on Hwy 46. If you look at a map there are a ton of wineries on Hwy 46 or just off it. There are also a fair amount on Vineyard Dr. Have to say Jada & Opolo are 2 of my favorites but there are many good wineries there.

I have gone tasting with a large group before and will be surprised if you were able to hit more than 4 places so you need to decide where you want to go. If you have extra time there will be another tasting room close by.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries for wedding party

Adelaida has very good wines -- it is the old Hoffman Mountain Ranch winery which produced one of the US's great pinot noirs -- the 1975. I still dream about that wine. Linne Calodo is my current favorite from the PR area -- BIG zinfandel blends and Rhone-style reds. It's very close to Turley, just across Highway 46 West.

LA/Paso
Level Contributor
83 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries for wedding party

I'd also consider Linne Calado and Castoro Cellars. Castoro is a rather large operation, but they make good wine and have easy access off the 46 and can handle a group in another area. I agree with one of the other people replying, it's a good idea to call the winery about a week in advance to let them know you're coming, because they might put on an extra staff member or two and having some pairing choices for you. It gives them the chance to make it a great experience for you. Denner is also amazing, but it is currently open only to wine club members. That being said, it would be worth a call to see if they would accommodate your group. The wines are all Robert Parker rated and top wines. They're very close to Opolo, so that would fit within the geographical area of your trip. They have a function room and beautiful patio and picnic/fireplace area. Halter Ranch has wonderful wines, as well. The picnic area at Calcareous is just gorgeous. Our daughter-in-law had a 40th birthday brunch for my husband's son there last April and it was great. We have also had other functions there. Thomas Hill Organics can cater a lunch there, or John, their in-house caterer, can arrange something. They have bocci ball courts, as well. Have a great wedding and trip to Paso! Congratulations!

7. Re: Wineries for wedding party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 10:18