We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
608 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

HOPING to fit in a tasting or two on the way from Yosemite to Cambria :) -- VERY limited time, so looking for suggestions for wine tasting rooms (maybe cheese/olive oils and/or organic farms -- two teen boys in tow, so cool farm/animals would be a plus if we have time). If it makes a difference, hubby and I prefer dry over sweet wines, I like whites, he likes reds.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Don't think you are going to see many animals at the wineries except for dogs & cats. IMO the better wineries are on the west side of Hwy 101 though I'm sure some will disagree. PR is known for their zinfandels, syrahs, & rhone blends.

Pasolivo Olive Oil is on the west side of Hwy 101. It is on Vineyard Drive north of Hwy 46. Jada Winery is also on Vineyard and they pair cheese with their wines. I can't think of any other wineries that offer a wine & cheese. pairing as part of the tasting. On the weekend you will find some wineries doing some BBQing. Vineyard Drive is actually a nice drive as it is a small country road and the trees have spanish moss hanging from them.

Please note there are a lot of good wineries in the area and many are located right on or just off on Hwy 46. If you want you can google "Paso Robles Wine Trail" and print a map of the local wineries.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
608 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Wine & cheese (and animals ;)) need not be together -- just thought I read that there are organic farms in the area that are self-sustaining (so was thinking maybe that meant gardens, goats, pigs, etc.) I do have a Paso wine map from the Chamber of Commerce -- just wondering recommendations from those who have been ;)

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Take a look at these maps to see the agri-tourism locations along Hwy 46

http://www.agadventures.org/map06.html

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Level Contributor
35,737 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Check out Lone Madrone! :)

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

My bad. I didn't read your post correctly. I can't speak to the organic farms but my favorite wineries are Jada (Syrah & blends) & Opolo (like their Mountain zin). I have also enjoyed wines from Epoch, Red Soles, Proulx, Oso Libre, Zenaida, L'Aventure, Caliza, Lone Madrone, Benson, Wild Coyote, Minassion-Young. Others in my wine group also like Booker & Dover Canyon. Like I said before there are a lot of good wineries around there, many of which I have not been able to make it to yet.

FYI If your kids like football Terry Hoage is a retired NFL player and has his Super Bowl jersey (Washington Redskins) hanging in the tasting room.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Pasolivo is a wonderful stop for an olive oil tasting. It's a regular highlight of our trips to the area. For wineries, Turley is a must for zinfandel lovers -- but Linne Calodo, IMO, makes the finest BIG reds on the West Coast. Their syrah and zin blends are lush, jammy and VERY tasty! We've been on their list for 8 vintages (9 different blends) and have yet to be disappointed in any of their wines.

LA/Paso
Level Contributor
83 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

The Ag Adventures map is a good resource. There are many organic farms in the area. Pasolivo is a great experience for olive oil tasting and it might be interesting to try to stop in one of the wineries which will provide a tour. A great stopping place for a farm experience is Jack Creek Farms (http://www.jackcreekfarms.com/). Another great experience is Happy Acres Family Farm, which is a farm which prodcues goat cheese and other products. They give a great tour. It's not off the 46W, but just down in Templeton, but worth the 15 minute detour (http://happyacresfamilyfarm.net/). There are a lot of wineries that are also part of a working farm and ranch. One that comes to mind (not off the 46W, but 46E) is Steinbeck Vineyards (http://www.steinbeckwines.com/). Their family has been farming in the area for over 100 years and is one of the largest growers in the area. There is a fee, but they do give Jeep tours through their vineyard, which is well worth it. You get a great sense of the area history and learn a lot about farming and grape growing.

Have a great trip!

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
608 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

Thanks for the details...unfortunately, we will be going thru on a Wed, & looks like a lot of places are closed on Weds :(.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
608 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

we were planning on going 46E to 46W to Cambria/San Simeon. IF we were to visit Opolo & Jada, which way should we take??? mapquest shows us out & back Vineyard dr from 46W, but I see pacific ave/peachy canyon Rd on the Paso Robles wine country map I have goes to vineyard dr -- would this be an advisable route (or should we just stay 46w & stop at others like Lone Madrone on the way)??? Pros/cons???

LA/Paso
Level Contributor
83 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: winery/farm must stops 46E/W on limited time

The 46E to Pacific route may be more direct, but the route is really 46E (past the101) to Spring Street, left on Spring Street (the streets are numbered, and I the 46E is also 24th Street. Take that to 6th Street, turn right. This becomes Pacific and then turns into Peachy Canyon, which you would take to Vineyard, and turn left.

If anyone in your group gets car sick, the better route to take is the 46E to the 101S, get off at 46W/Theater Drive/Ramada Dr. (Hearst Castle), get in the far right lane at the exit ramp, turn right on to the 46W, take to Vineyard Drive, turn right, Jada and Opolo are up the road a few miles. I think it's quicker to take the 101 route, but the other is more scenic, but definitely more winding.

Have a good trip!