We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

Going to pebble beach for my husbands 40th. He's playing golf three times. Looking for recommendations for other things to do/places to visit in the afternoons. Spa looks great but v pricey? Also which restaurants would you recommend and can u give any ideas on prices, all sites quote "it's pricey" but as I'm from England I have no idea what sort of $$ that equates to! Any other tips? Likely to be a once in a lifetime trip so wanting to max the 4 days that we have!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

The following answer is based on the assumption that you will have a car. So much depends on what you like to do. The aquarium is excellent; Point Lobos State Reserve, just south of Carmel on Hwy 1 has easy trails overlooking the ocean and it just a stunning place to visit; if you enjoy history, take a self-guided tour of the Carmel Mission and visit downtown Monterey to take a self-guided tour along the "path if history" and see the adobes (http://www.seemonterey.com/monterey-adobes/). If you want to shop or window shop, Carmel is perfect with its streets after street of shops and galleries; Carmel Beach is gorgeous and a great place to walk, people-watch or have a picnic.

Am I correct in assuming that you are actually staying at the Lodge at Pebble Beach or Spanish Bay Resort (also in PB)? There are numerous restaurants within the Resorts, but they can be pricey. I can't quote you exact prices since I tend not to eat there very often, but it also depends on whether you order wine and dessert. My guess would be that an entree in most of the restaurants would cost between $15 and $30 and that an appetizer or salad will be extra. And, of course, something special--like abalone--would cost more. Perhaps you can eat in PB one night--Roy's is very good. There are so many excellent restaurants in Carmel, Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach that are less expensive. For example, try dinner at Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove (casual and charming) (www.redhousecafe.com) or Grasings Coastal Cuisine in Carmel (www.grasings.com). These places are not cheap, per se, but they offer good value and excellent food. In Carmel, if you like Greek/Mediterranean food, try Dametra Cafe, and if you want a super-casual evening, go to Michael's Taqueria and Grill in Pacific Grove for Mexican. It's order at the counter and grab a table, and the food is fresh, delicious and inexpensive.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

I haven't been to Roy's in PB, but I've been to Roys in several other places and it is spectacular if you like fish and seafood. I've heard the PB location is wonderful.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

Thank you so much for your tips. They are much appreciated. I gather the Monterey Jazz festival will be on the weekend that we are coming to stay - will that impact traffic or anything we should avoid?!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

The Jazz Festival will bring a lot of people to town. I believe it impacts Monterey more than the surrounding towns, but there will be spillover to Carmel, Pacific Grove, etc. The main issue will probably be restaurants, so be sure to make reservations. There also will be more people at places like the aquarium, so if you'll be here beyond the weekend, your best bet is to wait until the Festival ends, or go late in the day.

Level Contributor
36,935 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

A meal at Roy's would be very nice! The food is very good and there is a bagpiper that plays at sunset. If you go into Monterey for dinner, Schooner's Coastal Kitchen is excellent as well. Another favorite of ours in Monterey is Restaurant 1833.

In Carmel, consider La Bicyclette, Demetra Cafe, Terry's Lounge @ The Cypress Inn, Casanova and Christopher's on Lincoln. Have a great time this weekend! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

I'm jumping in just to say that, if you're allowing your husband 3 rounds of golf on the Monterey Peninsula (Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay?), he shouldn't be too worried about how much you're spending on lunch. ;-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,237 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

I agree and I am a guy. If I play a few rounds of expensive Golf, my DW is entitled to a spa day and shopping and nice meals

Please go to www.opentable.com and you can read menus look at reviews and reserve

8. Re: Recommendations for things to do/places to eat@ Pebble beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 20:15