We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RVing on rte. 74

12 posts
Save Topic
RVing on rte. 74

I am towing a 35 foot fifth wheel from La Vegas to San Juan Capistrano area (staying at Caspers Wilderness Area). I am concerned about whether rte 74 is big rig RV friendly. I have read things on some of the blogs concerning the switchbacks on this rte. If it not RV friendly can anyone suggest an alternative route. We are visiting California from Ohio on a 5 to 6 week trip. Calif. coast, Oregon, and Washington are also on our itinerary.Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RVing on rte. 74

Since you posted in the Perris forum...

Hwy 74 from Perris to Lake Elsinore is pretty wide, flat and easy.Its when you get to the base of the mountain near the grocery store at Elsinore that you begin the curvy steep climb up to the biker bar/lookout area.From there to San Juan Capistrano the grades are not too bad, its just very curvy, and at some places like the old bridge over the creek in Orange County, its pretty narrow.

That said, you will see lots of trucks on the route, mostly double trailer gravel haulers.

If you want to go around, Hwy 76 would be to the south, then cut across to I-5 and back up. Or take the 15 to 91 to 5.

12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RVing on rte. 74

Thank you for the alternate route ideas.. I think 15 to 91 to 5 looks like a good alternate. Thanks again.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RVing on rte. 74

My only experience of driving the 74 was in a convertible sports car and it was great fun. . .for about ten minutes. Then I found the constant curves very tiring--I can't imagine driving it in an RV. I'd just go around. Highway 76 is fairly straight and flat and would be an option, but I don't know the status of road construction on that route, which can be a pain. The 76 is a somewhat pretty drive.

12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RVing on rte. 74

Thank you for the alternate route ideas.. I think 15 to 91 to 5 looks like a good alternate. Thanks again.

Reply to: RVing on rte. 74
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perris