We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandcastle or Sea Crest

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sandcastle or Sea Crest

I need help making our LAST hotel reservation! Many thanks to TA posters who have provided info with my decisions on the other hotels for our 2 1/2 week California road trip! We are traveling 2 adults, 2 kids (6 and 8).

Online, the Seacrest looks nicer to me and is 3 stars and has a pool, but the prices are HALF price of the Sandcastle (2 Stars, no pool). So I'm wondering if I'm missing an obvious fatal flaw? Would love to hear from someone who knows both hotels!

By the way we decided not to stay at the Blue Dolphin or Pismo Lighthouse because prefer direct beach access - with the hopes that my kids can run out on the beach first thing in the morning - I know...it will be FREEZING in December!! Thank you in advance!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

Hi trixie

Me again!

The Sea Crest recently went through a total remodel, which means the rooms will be fresh and updated. However, the beach access is by way of some VERY steep stairs from way up on a bluff. Not exactly direct beach access like you will find at Sandcastle Inn where you can literally walk outside the hotel and right on to the beach.

Sandcastle also has the advantage of being near Pismo downtown shops and eateries, which you may find a bit more convenient.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

BTW- The Dolphin Bay Resort (I assume that's what you're referring to when you mention Blue Dolphin) is near beach access just to the north of its next door neighbor The Cliffs Hotel, so I wouldn't dismiss it as a potential place to stay.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

Given the weather in Pismo I'm not sure I'd factor in a pool. The location of the sandcastle is it's biggest selling point. You can walk very easily to lots of good places to eat, as well as a decent market, billiards hall, and bowling alley. Our room was not too large, and nothing fancy but it was pretty quiet. I have no experience with the Sea Crest. You may want to consider a large ocean front room at the Sea Gypsy as they have kitchens and it is very much ocean front. I'd strongly suggest you insist on the top floor though as the rooms can be very noisy if the rooms above you are occupied.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

I DID mean Dolphin Bay resort - you're right kibblesmom! I will re-look at it online now...

California
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

we're looking to stay in pismo beach in 2 weeks; 2 couples. we'd love something upscale, hoping for a 2 bedroom suite. which hotel is the nicest? also, how will the weather be first week of december?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

IMO the upscale places are not within walking distance to the central area of Pismo. If you want to bar hop etc.. and not drive the sandcastle may be your best bet. If you are OK driving a bit check the Cliffs. I am admittedly not the Pismo expert here but have been to these two and a few other dumpy others.

California
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

thanks! we're not into bar hopping! we enjoy the beach, hiking and golfing. at nite, we can drive to restaurants. what can we expect from weather? is the cliffs nicer than Dolphin Bay?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

Dolphin Bay is the newer hotel compared to The Cliffs. However, The Cliffs has gone through a major renovation recently. They're right next door to each other, so I don't think it would matter which one you chose. Not sure what either hotel has in the way of suites, especially the two bedroom variety. Most suites here are a living area with a separate sleeping area.

9. Re: Sandcastle or Sea Crest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 05:18