We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours - What to do??

Coventry
Level Contributor
41 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours - What to do??

Hi we are staying in PB (at Cottage Inn) on our way up to Monterey. We arrive mid afternoon on 3 Aug and plan to lease around 3/4pm the following day. I will be with my husband and 16 yo son.

Looking for any suggestions on where to have a good casual/fun meal in the evening, and also what to do / what to see in the time we have.

I know we only have 24+ hours but we would like to do as much as possible, and not waste time driving around.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
35,226 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours - What to do??

The Crab Catcher in downtown Pismo is great place for a casual meal. There is a nice pier in Pismo that is fun to walk out on. If you like BBQ'd food, head over to McClintock's in Shell Beach. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for this area.

Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Edited: 10 July 2011, 17:00
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours - What to do??

If you are planning on driving to Monterey from Pismo Beach directly with a departure time of 3 or 4 pm and taking the Highway 1 route through Big Sur, you are seriously shortchanging the drive. You will really only have time for the drive and none for exploring magnificent Big Sur. If you are taking Highway 101, then you'll be fine.

Things to see/do in Pismo Beach: Walk the beach and/or pier, hire OHV's and ride the dunes in Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreational Area or hire the guy who will take you out there in his Army Hummer, sky dive or bi-plane ride out of Oceano Airport, shop at the Premium Outlet Mall, swim at Avila Hot Springs Pool, spend time at Avila Beach (10 minutes away from Pismo) and enjoy an ocean view meal at Custom House on their outdoor patio overlooking the ocean, pier and pedestrian friendly promenade. It's the Cracked Crab, BTW, not Crab Catcher. Del's Pizzeria is also a good family friendly option. In addition to pizza, they also have some pretty decent pasta dishes at very reasonable prices.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours - What to do??

Kibbles gives great ideas. All I can add is Splash is best known for their clam chowder in a sourdough bowl down by the pier.

Also, I would explore more, go to Avila barn, perhaps walk up and down Arroyo Grande old town. It it's a Thursday night, the highlight around here is the long running Farmers market - 7 blocks long with several bands, lots of food, farmers market, crafts, tc. in San Luis Obispo.

You'll find there is way too much to do in only 24 hours!

Southern California
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours - What to do??

Brad's Restaurant has better food than Splash Cafe. My opinion anyway. The Pismo Outlets are nice. Downtown Arroyo Grande is a few minute drive away and a very quaint town complete with a very old and pretty bridge. The peir and shopping in Pismo is also fun. We go to Pismo atleast 10 times a year and we always find something new to do. We rented a 4 seated bicycle and rode around the beach. Old West Cinnamon rolls are amazing for breakfast, get there early! Have fun :)

5. Re: 24 hours - What to do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:16