We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

This 16 day trip to the States was our honeymoon; below I have listed the full itinerary so if you are interested in a particular place then you can jump to it by clicking through my posts via my profile page. I'm going to split the trip report into sections by putting the locations in that particular forum but post this section in every post so people are aware of where we visited.

The full itinerary:

18th September 2011 to 4th October 2011 (16 days)

Los Angeles (4 Nights)

Hotel – Beverly Terrace: http://www.hotelbeverlyterrace.com

Las Vegas (3 Nights)

Hotel – Platinum: http://www.theplatinumhotel.com

Yosemite National Park (2 nights)

Hotel – Yosemite Lodge: yosemitepark.com/Accommodations_YosemiteLodg…

San Francisco (3 nights)

Hotel – Hotel Del Sol: jdvhotels.com/hotels/…overview

Monterey (1 night)

Hotel – Super 8: http://www.super8monterey.com

Pismo Beach (3 nights)

Hotel – Sea Crest: http://www.seacrestpismo.com/

Leave Tuesday 4th October (Drive back to LAX Airport)

----------------------

Day 15 – 1st October 2011 – Pismo Beach

Today we woke around 9am, headed down and grabbed some breakfast, the weather was really nice today (around 25 degrees) but a little foggy so we thought we would check out Avila Beach as I was recommended this beach didn’t get foggy, something to do with the valley? So we took the 5 minute drive and as we approached Avilla Beach the fog thickened :) so we decided not to stay there and head back.

On our way back we noticed a load of stalls in a field where people were selling things, we thought it was what we call in England a “Boot Fair” but it wasn’t as we found out after parking up, it was in fact an art show. We had a look around and actually bought a couple of bits, I bought a beer bottle opener... sounds random but the guy had old railway spikes and made them into openers, I thought it was pretty neat :) Hannah bought some jewellery to :)

After this we headed back to our hotel and as we approached noticed the fog had cleared so we hit the beach. As it was a little warmer today we made ourselves go into the Ocean, wow it was freezing at first but we soon got used to it :) the waves were really big to which added to the fun. Think we were here for a couple of hours before deciding to check out the town and pier :)

We had a walk around the town and started to get hungry so we went to Mo’s Smokehouse BBQ (tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g32894-d…) everyone was queuing up to go to a place called Splash Cafe but it didn’t really interest us. I'm so glad we went here though, the pork was amazing!! The sauce was so tasty and the garlic fries! Wow!! Lol, we do not get these kind of BBQ places in England so was a nice experience. I went for a shredded pork sandwich, was awesome!

After the delicious lunch we walked back along the beach to our hotel, we chilled out on the pool side for a few hours, in fact we both got sun burnt, we were there so long :) we had left our sunglasses on the whole time so we looked like a couple of pandas.

After a long discussion of where we should eat that night we both decided we were both craving Indian food, as you may or may not be aware us British love Indian food so whilst we were getting ready I looked for a local Indian restaurant and found this one in San Luis Obispo - tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g33026-d…

So we headed out to the car with excitement and drove to San Luis Obispo, the journey was around 10/15 minutes. The restaurant was quiet, there was one large table in the middle a family had occupied, must of been a birthday or something but apart from one other couple that was all. The menu didn’t have what we usually go for but still had dishes we had eaten before so we went for two dishes a Vindaloo and a Tandori and shared. We also ordered a couple of nann breads and some Bombay Potato :) The Vindaloo was very nice but the Tandori was very sweet and after a while became sickly so we couldn’t finish that dish (I'm not a fan of korma, it was like that) the garlic nann bread and Bombay potatoe was also pretty good. Overall the Indian was ok, it cured our Indian fix and satisfied us enough, we knew before we went in it wouldn’t be as good as back home :) From a British Indian food fan to another: If you like Indian food you will enjoy it but it’s nothing like back home (or in fact India) I have been spoilt to much :)

After the restaurant we had a short drive around San Luis Obispo and then headed back to the hotel to bed

Day 15 done :)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Jinxy - just to say, I'm still reading ;;-) and laughing!!!!

I love the way so much of your TRs are food centric. So would mine be, if I bothered to write them!!!!

American food can be so different and such fun. We mostly pick places that aren't fancy, and go for Mexican/South Western food, or Barbecue (which is wildly different in interpretation from UK or Oz ideas of that word) as well as Southern soul food, as they are what we feel the US does so well, and is mostly just awful or non existent in the UK. We do generally avoid Indian, however! (And often have to take Sharwood's curry powder and Patak's balti paste out to our friends who've eaten the 'real thing' in the UK!)

SWT

BTW we think SLO is surprisingly fun and relatively undiscovered.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 17:58
Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Ah, Jinxy...I was so going into withdrawals, thinking you'd had enough of appeasing our thirst for your trip reports and low & behold, a plethora of trip reports to feast on (almost literally since now my tummy is rumbling from all the food talk)!

I, too, love the Monterey aquarium (not usually my thing) seems almost magical. I would suggest if you get back this way, going to the Hogs Breath in Carmel...Clint Eastwood owns it and is often seen there. Pismo and SLO are hidden gems that most don't see...lucky you!

...so it seems as though you and Hannah opted out of the skydiving or is that part of Day 16? I think not, as I know your trip is coming to an end (boo hoo, what will I do :(

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Thanks guys :)

I have 2 more days to write one full day and the last day, these reports are a little more brief then the rest because we just chilled most of the time so it's hard to write hence why I'm talking about the food so much haha!

I have to say the food in Pismo was very good :)

We were told about the hogs breath by the English lady in SF who owned that fish n chips place, we did pass it but didn't go in.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Actually, we thought the Hog's Breath was overpriced and a bit tacky, and we didn't learn who the owner was until we left, but then, we were not impressed by Carmel at, anyway - found it a bit twee, fake and full of tourist tat, but maybe that's just me!

SWT

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

SWT - You wernt holding back there lol. We didnt miss much then :)

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Sounds really fun! We will have to check out Mo's Smokehouse next time we're in the area, we love good BBQ'd food. :)

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

Carmel City Fathers will be so disappointed to see SWT's of being full of tourist tat...as they think they are so not and are so protective of their image of a quaint village. They even ban all fast food restaurants to try and keep what they consider their "charm".

8. Re: Honeymoon Trip Report - Day 15 - Pismo Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:16