We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
469 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

This summer (early to mid-July), my husband, 15-year old son, and I have decided to spend two weeks in sunny California, exploring the coastal region, starting in Monterey and ending in San Diego. We'll be spending the first 3 nights in Monterrey, the 4th night in Cambria and/or San Sebastien (as we plan to visit the Hearst Castle), and the 5th and 6th nights (July 11th and 12th) in Pismo Beach. I was originally debating between Santa Barbara and Pimso Beach, but based on Trip Advisor reviews and comments, I think that Pismo Beach will be more suitable for us (we are looking for a low-key, laid-back and relaxing setting). Now, I must decide upon the accommodation and would like to get some of your thoughts. Our budget for this 2-night stop-over is about $200/night. We're looking for beachfront accommodation with a pool (and ideally a hot tub), and within close (or easy walking distance) to local activities (i.e. boogie boarding, scuba diving, snorkelling, etc.) and restaurants. Based on the above, could you please help steer me in the right direction. I have read some great reviews about Kon Tiki Inn. Is this a good choice? I know that it is within our budget (approx. $190/night) for 1 room (1 king bed, 1 queen bed), with private balcony and ocean view, but is it close enough to the "heart" of the action? Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. By the way, we are also interested in horseback riding and are considering renting a dune buggy. Thanks in advance!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

The Kon Tiki is a good location. It's about a ten minute walk to the pier, closer to shops, restaurants etc.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
469 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

Thanks very much. And how would you rate it by comparison to the Sea Venture Inn?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1 post
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

Sea Venture is a WONDERFUL place! Right in the heart of downtown, just a few steps from the beach, great service and beautiful rooms. Many of the rooms have hot tubs as well and all rooms come with free breakfast. I'm not sure what their summer rates are, I know they're not cheap. I've never been to Kon Tiki Inn, it has a convenient location near the freeway (but not too close) and I believe they offer ocean views.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

First: Sunny California..... Not so much in July, especially along the coast. Fog is common in the summer months and some days it lingers all day. And it will likely be cool. If you're looking for warm weather and warm ocean water, you won't find that in the coastal areas.

Second: I almost think Santa Barbara would actually be a better choice over Pismo Beach, as it is sunnier and warmer than beaches north of there.

If you still want Pismo Beach, then you won't beat Kon Tiki Inn's rate. Sea Venture is right on the beach, but it's geared more for couples than families. Kon Tiki is a short stroll into Pismo's busy downtown core and offers great views (Once the fog burns off) from its bluff top location.

I don't know of anyone who snorkels or scuba dives here. Our waters are pretty "cloudy" all the time. There are scuba/snorkeling possibilities on the Channel Islands off the Santa Barbara coast.

Santa Barbara also experiences less fog than Pismo Beach in the summer due to the fact that it's located south of Point Conception and doesn't get the arctic flow like the beaches north of there.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 01:17
Ottawa
Level Contributor
469 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

Thanks everyone - yes, the more and more I mull over the options (and advice provided through the TA forum), I do believe that Santa Barbara as opposed to Pismo Beach is more suitable to this family of three.

6. Re: 2 night family stop-over - accommodation advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:27