We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chowder Wars !!!

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Chowder Wars !!!

I recently spent a couple of weeks in Pismo Beach and decided to sample the clam chowder in a bread bowl at three of the popular restaurants in the pier area. Food is always "subjective," so this is simply a recounting of my experience (yours may vary):

Splash Cafe - Very rich with a generous portion of clams. And the bread was super fresh. This was definitely the winner! Indeed, I went back a second time to confirm my findings. (This is a "counter service/seat yourself" style restaurant.)

Brad's Restaurant - This was a very good offering, although it was more seasoned than the others. Indeed, they sprinkled additional seasonings/herbs over the top of the serving. Were I to order it again, I would ask to omit that additional seasoning. Second place.

Chele's Food & Spirits - If Brad's was over-seasoned, this was slightly bland. And it sort of tasted like filler. That said, it was still pretty darn good. I wouldn't hesitate to order it again, but I probably wouldn't come here JUST for the chowder. Third place.

So there you have it. Can't wait to return and try it all again! :-)

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

My family went to Splash Cafe for lunch today, and I agree that the clam chowder was the best! It was worth the wait (the line was wrapped around to the side of the building).

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

We love the chowder at Splash Cafe! We will be back in Pismo next week and will have to try Chele's. Our new favorite restaurant in the area is Ventana Grill, can't wait to return there! :)

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

I just have to add that if you do not need a bread bowl the best clam chowder in Pismo is at Steamers. It is a sit down restaurant over looking the ocean but it's homemade daily using real cream. It's so rich and thick I could eat it daily. (many at the pier are from cans a waitress told me). Of course, like you said, it's very personal, but I hope you'll try one day.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

I agree with Steamers.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

We had some clam chowder last night at Brad's, across from Splash Cafe and it was very good! Rich and creamy with lots of flavor. The Salmon with Mango Sauce was delicious, also. :)

6. Re: Chowder Wars !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:42