We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

I am going to Pismo Beach with my two young children, age 1 and 3. I lost my husband to cancer recently and this will be our first trip anywhere - he wanted to go but we never got the chance to. So now it's just me and the kids. I wanted to see if anybody knew of any places that are 'stroller' friendly so I don't have to carry my 20lbs baby around, chasing after my 3 year old :)

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

The pier area and plaza are all flat, with either paved or boardwalk surfaces. Or you can walk south along Hwy 1 (known as Dolliver St. in this area) on a paved sidewalk that eventually connects to a wide, well-packed trail passing behind the Monarch Butterfly Grove, and on to a boardwalk (some ups and downs, but no steps) through the dune area down to the Grand Avenue/Grover Beach access (probably about 1 mile overall).

I believe there is a trail map available at this link: http://classiccalifornia.com/cityparks.htm

Edited: 15 November 2013, 15:29
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

I am so sorry to hear you recently lost your husband. Must have been especially difficult considering the ages of your young children. I applaud you for having the fortitude to plan a getaway for yourself and the kids so soon after. I hope your time away will help you with the healing process.

There are lots of places you can walk with a stroller in the Pismo Beach area. As mtwingcpa pointed out, there is a boardwalk through Pismo Beach starting at the pier that makes its way over to Dolliver Street and down to the Monarch Butterfly Grove. The Dolliver part can be noisy, though, since a lot of traffic goes through that area. Not sure I would attempt that walk with a 3 YO while pushing a stroller unless both kids were in the stroller.

A really nice and pleasant place to walk without the stress of traffic is the Bob Jones Bike Trail through Avila Valley. It's a paved path along wooded San Luis Creek. There's parking along Ontario Road off Avila Beach Drive just for trail users. Just don't leave anything visible inside your car. I've talked to people who have had their vehicles broken into while parked there. That doesn't mean the trail is unsafe. Most of these thieves aren't looking for a confrontation. Just a quick smash, grab and go.

The Shelter Cove Lodge has paved paths for walking and even has a few non-guest parking spaces on the south end of the property. This is a gorgeous view property on a bluff overlooking the ocean.

Downtown San Luis Obispo is only 13 miles away from Pismo Beach with a lovely quad area between the shops and the historic mission.

There is a Premium Outlet Mall in Pismo Beach with a nice wide sidewalk. This would be a good place to walk if it's raining during your visit.

If you need help with family friendly dining, lodging, etc., please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care

Level Contributor
36,321 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

In back of The Cliffs Resort is a really nice paved path with ocean views. :)

Edited: 15 November 2013, 16:17
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

I'm sorry for your loss. If you want to go down to the beach you can park in the lot next to the Grover City beach ramp. Its jsut a few minutes south of Pismo. There's a large parking lot and easy beach access from there.

A fun place for your kids might be the Avila Barn. It's just off 101 on the way to Avila Beach. Not a petting zoo but they do have some small animals your children can see. They have great pies, hay rides & an ice cream shop as well as a produce stand.

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

On second thought, the walk down Dolliver Street isn't all that interesting, so you could avoid that (and potential traffic) by driving down and parking at the Grand Avenue/Grover Beach access and accessing the dune boardwalk from that end. I see strollers (and wheelchairs) on it all the time. And you could walk up to the back entrance to the Butterfly Grove if you wanted (roughly a half mile from the parking lot).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I am looking forward to visiting Pismo and surroundings this weekend!

7. Re: Stroller friendly paths/trails in/around Pismo Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21