We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

Hello,

I am visiting 16-19 Apr. with a 1.5 year old and a 5 year old. I was wondering if there would be enough to do for the kids during the 3 days. The temperatures are around 62-63 on Thurs and Friday and winds are around 14 mph. Would that be ok for a day out on the beach with kids? or too chilly?

Also any restaurant suggestions for Vegetarian fare and kids friendly place.

Thanks

Craig

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

Hi Craig

There's more than enough to keep you busy for days on the Central Coast, as long as you're willing to not limit yourself to just Pismo Beach.

Avila Beach might be a better beach day option with the kids. Avila is a just a few miles north of Pismo Beach and is surrounded by hills on 3 sides, so it gets less wind and less chance of fog. It's our sunniest/warmest beach on this part of the California coast. There's also playground equipment right on the beach in Avila for the kids to play on.

The road into Avila is through a pretty wooded valley with a hot springs pool and the family friendly Avila Valley Barn produce stand. The Avila Valley Barn sells fresh produce, baked goods and homemade ice cream. They also have a pen with small farm animals the kids can hand feed. Sometimes they even have hay rides.

You can rent bikes and ride the Bob Jones Bike Trail in Avila Valley.

Dinosaur Caves Park between the BW Shelter Cove Lodge and the Village of Shell Beach is a beautiful bluff top park with playground equipment and gorgeous coastal views.

The Village of Arroyo Grande is a western themed shopping district with bakeries, eateries, antique shops and a park behind the south side shops with a swinging bridge. There's parking behind the south side shops near the swinging bridge. There's also a Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream Parlor in the Village of AG.

We also have a Premium Outlet Mall right off Highway 101, but you might find the cheesy shops in downtown Pismo to be more fun.

Most restaurants here have meatless dishes or can easily accommodate your dietary needs. Blue Sky Cafe in nearby San Luis Obispo is well known for its vegetarian fare. Gardens of Avila at Sycamore Mineral Springs (On the road to Avila Beach), Ventana Grill, Del's Pizzeria, Zorro's Cantina, Mei's Chinese also offer meat free dishes.

San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

Thank you Kibbles for the quick and elaborate reply. I am staying in Arroyo Grande. I will surely visit the Avila beach. I have also heard about a glass bottom boat ride in Morro Bay which might be good for the kids... What's your take on that?

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

"....I have also heard about a glass bottom boat ride in Morro Bay which might be good for the kids... What's your take on that?"....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think that might be a fun thing to do with kids. I would have suggested it, but I didn't know how far afield you wanted to go.

Another popular attraction is the elephant seal rookery a few miles north of Hearst Castle and San Simeon.

There's also the Charles Paddock Zoo in Atascadero.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

I just wanted to add in both Pismo (or Shell Beach) and in Morro Bay you can rent Kayaks. So many people love to get out in the kayaks. Morro Bay will be calmer waters. Also, call the Museum of Natural History in Morro Bay (or check out their website) and ask if there will be any docent led walks while you are in town. These can be awesome hikes.

You can also rent ATV's and ride up into the sand dunes in Pismo. Have fun!

5. Re: Visiting Pismo with kids 16 to 19 April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:15