We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placerville with kids

san diego ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Placerville with kids

Would like to know of a good restaurant for lunch and the best antique shop in town and anything else you can suggest on our visit to see grandma and grandpa...thanks.

Upstate S.C.
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Placerville with kids

Best restaurant is the Buttercup on the eastern end of down town. Great food, good prices, great service.

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Placerville with kids

Buttercup Pantry, really good... excellant Clam Chowder (some old home receipe). Hit Apple Hill in season and pcik apples

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Placerville with kids

How old are the kids?

Spend as much time as you can with their grandparents if everyone doesn't tire too much. Coming from maybe 600 miles, this isn't a trip you can do every weekend or even every year, so let your folks and the kids treasure the time they have with each other. The only grandparent I knew lived an ocean away and I never got enough time with her.

For a quick getaway from Placerville, if the kids are old enough to enjoy it (maybe kindergarten age or so), go to Coloma, 10 miles north. It's the site of the first gold discovery in 1848 that led to the Gold Rush of 1849. The historic town is preserved and cars stay outside so visitors walk around like in "the old days." The kids may not grasp all the history, but they can see how people lived, did business, and searched for gold a century and a half ago.

Northern California
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Placerville with kids

You kids might enjoy Gold Bug Park right in Placerville. We made a stop there once on the way down from the Sierra. It is very interesting. It used to be a working gold mine, and you can walk into the mine with a headset tour that is fabulous - it is narrated by one of the interpretive rangers of the park (who is also a prospector himself) and he pretends to be a ghost of one of the old prospectors, telling you, the visitor, all about his mine and what it was like being a miner there.

Across the carpark and up the hill is the old stamp mill for the mine, and the interpretive ranger there is the same guy who narrates on the mine shaft tour. At the stamp mill, he tells all about how the mill worked, about the mercury poisoning that many stamp mill workers ended up with - gosh, I can't believe how much I remember of that trip and tour and it was probably 2 years ago. My children were 6 and 3 at the time and enjoyed it, too.

Here is a link w/info about it: http://www.goldbugpark.org/gbaboutus.html

Hope this helps.

Ginger

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Placerville with kids

Depending on how old the kids are - here are some fun things in and around the area.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12008-Gold_Cou…

6. Re: Placerville with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Placerville