We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sierra Nevada House?

Which Placerville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Sierra Nevada House?

There's nothing in TripAdvisor about "Sierra Nevada House" in Coloma. Can anyone give me any first hand info about their experiences there?

http://www.sierranevadahouse.com/

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

I'm terrible, I drive by it all the time when rafting in the summer, but just haven't made it in yet (usually because I'm a sight after rafting all day:). However, some of the river guides have told me that it's a good place, and it's usually crowded.

Hope someone else can give you first hand information. When is your trip?

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

We are going in June with Adventure Connection. We've gone with them a few times when we lived in California, and once since we moved to Missouri.

While our daughter was too young (but mostly too light!) for rafting we did other things as a family. Finally she (hopefully) has enough girth to stay in the boat! We'll have to settle for the south fork though. She'd never make it on Tunnel Chute!

Today I booked Historic Cary House in Placerville. Seems to be well respected, and closer to the County Fair which will be the same weekend (not a coincidence!).

Which outfitter do you use?

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

Oooh, the Tunnel Chute. We did the Middle Fork of the American River last summer and had a blast. The Tunnel Chute was awesome! It was an incredible river, great scenery, and I'd love to do it again.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

Richland,

We go with American Whitewater Expeditions (AWE) - we enjoy their guides, and they are well managed (and the food is tops!). Also, they are now wearing helmets on the South Fork, which I think is appropriate (most other outfitters are not). How do you like AC?

How old/what weight is your daughter? My 12 year old is a peanut, just 73 pounds, but she loves loves loves rafting, especially Troublemaker! She sits in the boat and holds on, no paddling, and she loves being in the front. I do, however, go over and over with her the safety talk before we even get there - absolutely, if you end up getting flipped out, NEVER try to stand up. There were 2 deaths on the river this year, both people were with private party boaters, not commercial outfitters, and I know at least one suffered foot entrapment. It was devastating to us locals too, we mourned the losses. It angers me too, these inexperienced boaters that have no respect for the river.

My daughter knows, toes and nose to the sky.

Yep, no Tunnel Chute for us when she is with us. We were booked for Middle Fork in September, but the big fire nearby shut it down, so we're waiting for next summer to try it out.

I've been in Historic Cary House when my brother came to visit; he wanted to experience it, rather than stay with us. The rooms were small, but you really got that historic charm, and the downtown location is great. Glad that you enjoy our little county fair! Let's see, that will be father's day weekend...if it is the third Saturday, enjoy the Saturday Night artwalk in downtown Placerville. The galleries open up and serve refreshments. Some of the other merchants stay open late too, not many. Breakfast is great at Sweetie Pies up the street. Also, go to the soda works building across the street from Sweetie Pies - it was originally a mine.

Also, some of the cherry orchards and blueberry places (and probably the Jack Russell brewing company in Apple Hill (Camino) have father's day stuff going on.

I don't know how long you will be in town...but your daughter might enjoy the Folsom Aquatic Center - it has a great water "playground" , a water slide, a shallow pool, a pool with innertubes, a pool with lap lanes, and a diving board pool. I know Placerville just put in a new community pool with a small waterslide, but I don't know much about it; other than it is not as extensive as the Folsom complex.

Glad you enjoy our area...where in California were you from?

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

You might already know this site:

http://www.visit-eldorado.com/

Try these too:

http://www.visit-eldorado.com/farmtrail.html

http://www.thecozmiccafe.com/

http://www.placerville-downtown.org/

folsom.ca.us/depts/…fees.asp

folsom.ca.us/depts/…default.asp

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

I lived in Huntington Beach just before moving to Missouri. Lived in Southern California for most of my life (from age 2 to 35) then moved here in 1993. Love it here in Missouri. One of the ironies is that the cost of living is so much more manageable, and our location in the US is so central, that we get to see/do so much more. In other words, we've seen more of the west coast since we moved to the midwest!

Our 12 year old daughter is also a peanut. I don't think she's even 70 lbs. yet, though maybe just. She is not timid at all and has enjoyed a number of great adventures in her short life. We've got a great one planned for next month...we're heading to Greece and Italy we'll spend one day exploring the ruins of Pompeii!

Adventure Connection has been excellent. We've enjoyed the guides (though no American River comparisons - only been on the Kings and Kern other than American) and the food is also wonderful. I have a theory that adrenaline triggers hunger...hmmm?

Our plan is to arrive in the AM on Weds. 6/13. We'll be at Cary House for 2 nights, Weds and Thurs. Any suggestions for a cool mining "experience" for our 12 y/o? Also, the fair open on Thursday I think.

Friday evening, we'll head to Coloma for a two day camping/rafting. Sunday evening, we're driving to San Francisco for a 3 night stay and flying home on Weds. out of SFO.

Thanks for the great links. I'd found some of them already. (Actually, I confirmed the dates of the county fair by scanning on-line minutes of the fair committee! This whole trip was planned around the fair dates - haven't ever attended but we enjoy these kinds of things. You can imagine in the midwest, they're plentiful especially north of us in Iowa.

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

Here's one to add to the list:

http://www.eldoradocountyfair.org/ LOL

Bay Area
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

I have stayed there a number of times when visiting the SF American River. Each room has a different theme and they have tried to keep the old gold rush flavor without being corny. To keep that flavor they don't have TV's or telephone's in the rooms. I like that as I was able to visit with other guests on the deck that surrounds the whole hotel and sip wine while reading a great book. But if you have kids that can't be without a TV it might not work or you'll want to bring something for them to do.

The restaurant downstairs has a variety of great food and the outside decks are a wonderful place to dine during nice weather. The bar is coozy and warm with a very neighborhood bar feeling. They play music DVD's instead of sports all the time. I've been there before during the summer season when they have outside music, salsa dancing lessons, and movies in their outside cafe. DIfferent food then the restaurant with great 1/2lb burgers, salads, and other hot sandwiches. Their web site has their menu's on it.

Book the hotel rooms early as they are quite often booked on weekends especially. Great historic town with fun things to do and beautiful scenery as well.

citrus heights
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

Cool place to go have a beer or two, and if you're lucky maybe even listen to some live music. Some of the hotel rooms upstairs are said to be haunted by old gold miners/ladies of the night. I checked it out and it was kind of spooky to say the least.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sierra Nevada House?

Richland34, you're probably already on your way here, but in case not (or in case you brought a laptop!) I thought I'd give you a great big HOWDY! and say welcome to Placerville! The weather has finally warmed up, so that you won't have to wear wetsuits on the river. ENJOY!! I see the fair carnival is starting to set up, enjoy that too. I think you had said that you would be leaving Placerville before Saturday night, but I wanted to tell you that this is the third Saturday, which means there is an "artwalk" with wine, cheese, and snack tasting in all of the downtown galleries. We enjoy it, as does our daughter.

For some casual good eats, I recommend where we just had dinner tonight: Shoestrings Hot Dogs in upper Placerville. Yummy! Located at 1320 Broadway. I also like Tijuana Taqueria, 1762 Broadway. Fresh Mex Express Mexican Grill at 3970 Missouri Flat Rd # H (Kmart plaza) is also a favorite.

Have fun, and please post a trip report!

Get answers to your questions about Placerville