We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Claremont Colleges

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Claremont Colleges

I posted this in Claremont Forum, but thought I should re-post it here...

We are going for a college visit at the end of March and are looking for a hotel near the Claremont Colleges.

We are looking for something clean, safe and in a good location. The Double Tree and Casa 425 are a bit too pricey and Sheraton Fairplex (in Pomona) is fully booked. I would prefer something a little nicer than the $50+ a night motels, but don't want to spend $200+... so I guess that puts my price range at about $80 to $150.

We will have a car, so are open to anywhere within 15 min or so (Pomona, Upland, Ontario, etc.). We are not familiar with the area, so I don't know which areas are nice and which to avoid.

4 replies to this topic
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Claremont Colleges

Here are a few from the Pitzer website. Always ask for "College rates" as sometimes there are good discounts.

mypz.pitzer.edu/netcommunity/page.aspx…

Ontario has some other good choices as well, because of the airport there.

Covina/West Covina are a bit further, but still within an approx. 15-minute drive, and there are lots of chain hotels there, right off the 10 Freeway. Hampton Inn, etc.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Claremont Colleges

If you have additional time in the area, and plan to sightsee as well, you might want to consider staying in Pasadena. It is @ 30-35 minutes to Claremont, but there is a lot more to do there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Claremont Colleges

pasca, thanks for the information.

I don't think we will want to stay as far away as Pasadena, since we will only be in town for 3 full days. But Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga or Covina would be doable.

Would one of those areas be better as far as things to do? I am travelling with an odd mix, as it is me (33yr old- male), my sister (17 yr old-prospective Pomona student) and my mother (55). So we are not looking for bars and clubs to hang out at, but we will want to keep ourselves busy... perhaps some nice restaurants or cafes. I much prefer non-chains as I am an admitted restaurant snob.

I think the majority of our time will be spent roaming around the college. I really want my sister to get a feel for what the area is like and how it would be to live there since it will be quite different than the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks again,

Wigs

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Claremont Colleges

All three towns are some of the more distant, newly built suburbs of LA-- mostly tract housing and chain restaurants. Really not that much to do that I know of, other than a minor-league hockey team in a nice new stadium in Ontario (The Reign. We are fans.). You'll have to stifle your restaurant-snob impulses, as it isn't a great area for dining. Check on Yelp before your trip, and good luck. Claremont itself has a pretty town center near campus, surrounded by leafy streets with older homes. But Claremont itself is a bit of a dining desert, with a surprising lack of good restaurants for such a nice town. If you do find a good one, please let me know as we are frequent visitors to the Claremont campus. From what I hear, the students don't spend much time in the town of Claremont or the surrounding area; they mostly stay on campus or head out to destinations in LA. Claremont seems to cater more to its older, upper middle class residents than to the students.

Covina is by far closest to LA and Pasadena, so that you could venture out from there for dinner. San Dimas may have a few hotels, too. I think I'd recommend either of them over Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario, for that reason.

Three days is a lot just for seeing Pomona College. It does sound like you'd like the Pasadena area, so consider spending a day there at least. For great dining, the San Gabriel Valley (notably Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Arcadia) have some of the best Chinese restaurants in the US.

Reply to: Hotel near Claremont Colleges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pomona