We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

We are thinking about visiting Redding and possibly stay near Shasta Lake. What is the weather like in July? Is it humid? Is July a good time to visit? We are from Phoenix so we are hoping it will be a little cooler

Thanks,

Jackie

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

July is really hot typically 110 or so and not humid. Really quite dry. Lake Shata is great for water sports and houseboating.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

Thanks Suzie for the info. How much cooler is the month of June? Also does it cool down at night in June and July? I appreciate the info.

Jackie

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

You might consider Crater Lake if you want scenery or Lake Tahoe for boating. Shasta Lake is great for renting a houseboat but I know it's been really dry this winter and that lake is famous for low water levels the summer after a dry winter. Shasta Caverns is kind of a fun side trip if you do go.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

June through Sept are pretty hot months for Redding. It doesn't usually cool off much at night. They aren't close enough to any natural air conditioning, ocean, so the nights stay pretty warm. If it's not triple digits then it's in the 90s for sure.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Jackie

Cali
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

Hi I live in Redding...

July is a very popular month on Shasta lake so if you are wanting a more private trip... that is also something to keep in mind.

If you are looking more for more quiet beauty and swimming, you might enjoy Wiskeytown Lake.

My husband worked on Shasta for several years and while we enjoy some camping there we prefer Wiskeytown because the water tends to be colder and slightly clearer.

Wiskeytown is about 10 minutes west of Redding.

Hope this gives you something to think about

Redding
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

I echo much of what has already been said. Summers are very hot and quite dry. And after this pathetically dry winter the lake is bound to be quite low come July.

However, I would reccomend heading up north to the Mt. Shasta/Mcloud area. We camp there the last weekend in July just to escape the intense heat and have a reunion with extended family. It does get hot during the middle of the day but the evenings, nights and mornings are quite cool. Hot fires, good coffee and some wool socks cold.

I'm not sure how nice boating on lake siskyou is or if there are any for rent. But we do make use of the beach when we're there and have found it to be a pleasant experience. There are also a couple of nice golf courses in the area and Fowler's falls is not to be missed (we enjoy all three but the middle falls requires a bit of a hike).

8. Re: Visiting Redding and Shasta Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 05:26