We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's wrong with your downtown?

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What's wrong with your downtown?

I've been ready forum posts and there seems to be a safety problem with your downtown Redding. Tell me what the problem is?

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

Sorry for the typo, should say "I've been reading forum posts...

Redding, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

I may be the only one reading Redding posts, but I'll address the issues of downtown Redding from someone who knows. Crime isn't really the issue. There is a large number of homeless have found Redding a safe place. This has largely been seen in the downtown area. Also, unfortunately most of the downtown motels have become weekly and monthly rentals for lower income individuals.

The downtown mall hasn't ever fully recovered from the exodus of retail to the Mt. Shasta Mall and nearby area. However, recent investments and major renovations have begun to bring new life to the once vital area. Daytime and evenings are safe and much activity is seen in and around downtown.

We're (Redding Travelodge) located north of downtown, in the area beyond the Sacramento River. We consider ourselves closer linked to Lake Blvd. This area is much more secure and major renewal began several years ago. Merchants and businesses have made tremendous strides, combined with the city, county and state to make North Market Street a major part of the Turtle Bay/Sundial Bridge loop and an integral part of Redding tourism.

Let me mention my family and I live on property and feel very safe and secure. Come visit, you won't be disappointed.

Stephen Jones - Mgr.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento River
Sacramento River
75 Reviews
Redding, CA
Sundial Bridge
Sundial Bridge
1,241 Reviews
Redding, CA
Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

Again, thank you for your reply, I know there are others out there that read the forums regularly but don't share for one reason or another. Your contributions do not go unnoticed and folks truely would rather hear the truth, hats off to you for being forthcoming about the reality of my question.

Red Bluff, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

I agree with RTL in one regard. The Redding Downtown is not really a destination. It is a lot of government buildings and weekly hotels. It is not a place you would go to stroll through shops, etc. so you might not feel comfortable or safe walking there at night. Development is happening more in the areas around Turtle Bay/Sundial Bridge (the Travelodge is located there) and Hilltop Dr. (near shopping at the Mt. Shasta Mall.)

Mentioned in this post
Sundial Bridge
Sundial Bridge
1,241 Reviews
Redding, CA
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

We stayed at the Redding Travel Lodge last October on our way from Crater Lake to the California Redwoods and cannot fault it or the staff.

The hotel was very clean, the staff very friendly and helpful and we didn't have any problem with the area. We didn't see any homeless or undesirables.

We enjoyed a visit to the Sundial Bridge (not far from Travelodge) with helpful directions from the staff and had a good breakfast next morning at the diner next door.

Mentioned in this post
Sundial Bridge
Sundial Bridge
1,241 Reviews
Redding, CA
6. Re: What's wrong with your downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 06:27