We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

middle of may visit questions

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
middle of may visit questions

Hey, anybody out there... My husband & I are thinking of visiting Redding b/c there's an annular solar eclipse May 21 that is supposed to have good viewing from Redding. we are thinking of flying to SFO to visit our son one day,, then renting a car or taking train to redding then getting a car locally.T My husband is interested in stargazing as well, and I've read of several places near Redding.

what I wonder is, how and where to best enjoy these celstial happenings - - I think Mt. shasta is a good spot, but read that some of the roads up there don't open til end of May... Any thoughts on a great place for us to be during the day to chill and watch the sun eclipse?

thx!

A

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: middle of may visit questions

Well, there's no snow of right now. There is good viewing from many locations away from cities. You could head up toward Tahoe, into the desert, up here toward Mt Lassen. A location that comes to mind immediately is Death Valley. May is an excellent time for visiting too. There are spots in the valley too where you can drive up into the foothills out of any fog or smoke to view the stars.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: middle of may visit questions

I've been thinking about this some more. Some of the best stargazing I've done is camping up here in the northern Sierra & growing up in the valley. We lived in an orchard 7 miles from a small town. The stars were brilliant. The Milky Way was a common sight.

I don't know if this might intrigue you, but you'd see some amazing stars from a fire lookout. The first one listed is open May 15th. The second one shows open dates, but I'm pretty sure they get quite a bit of snow (but not right now!)

West of Redding near Weaverville:

recreation.gov/camping/…

Near Graeagle/Tahoe:

recreation.gov/camping/…

From this page:

www.firelookout.org/lookout-rentals.htm

Red Bluff...
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: middle of may visit questions

Re: car vs. train, my recollection is that the Amtrak passenger train stops in Redding in the middle of the night so i recommend renting a car in SFO and driving. The driving in San Francisco is a bit hairy, but hey, you're from Chicago so no worries, right? ; ) Once you turn north on Hwy 505, you will have no traffic until you get to Redding. Depending on where your son lives, you might want to consider arriving in Sacramento Airport rather than SFO.

Re: watching the eclipse, I can think of no better place than from the Sundial Bridge in town. From the middle of the river you have no obstructions from trees AND it's a SUNDIAL DURING AN ECLIPSE! What could be more awesome.

Re: stargazing, one of the great things about Redding is that you have easy access to the mountains in many directions. Snow worries are unpredictable. There is no snow right now but in normal years, snow lingers into late May. However, you could pretty easily head into the mountains west (Weaverville), north (Mt. Shasta), or east (Shingletown) and find a deserted open area without lights and gaze to your heart's content.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: middle of may visit questions

thx so much for your posts! I always learn a lot, and feel connected thru these forums.

Travelling Runn, I followed the threads you gave & gained a lot if insights & info. The lookout idea sounds very nice, but don't think it's right for us on this trip. The access routes to the still available sites seem a little too daunting for us 55+ mid-westerners to negotiate without our son, who is an excellent driver. We can & have handled pack in/ out, but I don't trust hubby & me driving twisty dirt mtn roads that may be slippery. so maybe we'll go with a campsite. But I'll keep the thought for a future trip!

Liznrb: Yeah, we'll prob drive from SFO, I was just thinking that training would make us more relaxed, and then ready for driving around Redding to other areas. great metaphorical and astrological connection to watch the eclipse from the bridge! I had thought of that also, but read that the Turtle bay exploratorium closes around 4pm. I think the eclipse will be around 5 or 6 pm, just for a few min. But now you made me look further and I see on websites that the bridge area is open til late evening.

I like the idea of driving & finding open areas...I don't know if we should plan to camp - - we could always book a hotel and a campsite, then cancel a day or so bfore depending on weather. We're not rugged cold weather campers...but I would hate to miss an opportunity to camp in CA b/c your parks are so outstanding, not only in natural beauty, but in care & upkeep.

thx again for sharing your knowledge

5. Re: middle of may visit questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2017, 17:18