We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 Celebrations?

Which Riverside hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
July 4 Celebrations?

We will be in Riverside for July 4. Are there any fireworks or anything else going on to celebrate.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

Well, July 4th this year may be a bust due to the significant drought season we have had. It is possible that you will not see anything; however, it's always been a tradition to watch Mt Rubidoux burn after its fireworks show(it ALWAYS burns). So that is one option. This is usually a good show too. There are some high schools who have shows, but that changes yearly. Your best bet is to go to Redlands. The Redlands Bowl has a fireworks and live marching band show that is always a big hit. You can check the Press-Enterprise newspaper at PE.com about a week prior for scheduled area events or check with the Redlands Bowl for tickets and time for entry. Fireworks are illegal in Riverside and most of San Bernardino Counties now, but you will hear smuggled over the border rockets and what not anyways. I will re-post if anything significant is scheduled.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

I second the suggest of going to Redlands for the 4th of July festivites. I go every year and all the festivites are great! It is important to note the the fireworks show does NOT take place at the Redlands Bowl.

The Redlands Fireworks show, probably the best and the longest show in this area, takes place at the University of Redlands Stadium. There is a small fee to watch the show from the stadium, which offers bleacher seating. There is ground seating (dirt, I believe) in the stadium for latecomers. I have heard that ground seating may have been stopped, though.

Many who go to see this fireworks show, including me, prefer to find a space on the lawn in the Quad immediately south of the stadium and see it for free. It is a large lawn with some shade trees and there is enough room for all the families and who enjoy coming early with chairs and blankets to picnic and play games. You may feel right at home on the lawn of the Quad, as the architechture of the University of Redlands is reminscent of some buildings or colleges in New England. Sitting on the east side of the Quad, in my opinion offers a better view than the west side.

The "safe and sane" fireworks sold at stands in the area are often brought to the Quad, but discouraged by the fire department and campus officials. Year after year, as the sun goes down, I still see plenty of "fountains" and sparklers! Because there are some trees in the quad, what fire dept. seems more concerned with is anyone throwing fireworks up into the sky near the trees. It is an absolutely free and easy family atmosphere, though, not a heavy presence of officials there. Ice cream vendors also make their rounds on the grass, as well as ice cream trucks going around the streets. Some portable toilets are available for the convenience of visitors. They are well maintained and placed so as to not mar the view.

Here is what you will miss if you sit in the Quad vs. the stadium:

1.The Redlands 4th of July Band, an all volunteer band that plays such songs as the Stars and Strips Forever, other Souza marches, and movie favs - such as Disney songs or John Williams.

2. A rock band.

3. A fly over with parachuettists who end up landing inside the stadium. HOWEVER, the fly over can definitely be seen from the Quad and the parachuettists floating through the sky can be seen from the Quad. The stadium is close enough to see them float into the stadium in preparation for landing. You just cannot see the actual landing.

4.A "ground" fireworks display. I haven't heard much about this, but we never feel we are missing out on anything. Last year we heard some of the music that accompanied it.

If memory serves correctly, the flyover occurs around 6:30 or maybe 7 pm. We always try to be at the Quad by no later than 6:30, if for no other reason than the traffic and parking can be a problem much later than that. I believe that the actual fireworks show is around 8:30 or 9 pm. If you are interested, either post again and ask or private message me. I will try to find the schedule for this year and also give you directions.

Something else you may want to consider is the Redlands 4th of July Celebration in the park near the University. There is a wonderful concert in the gazebo in the park by the 4th of July band, whose conducter dresses in the old time band conductor type of uniform. The rock band that plays in the stadium in the evening also performs on a separate stage in the park. They trade off playing, each doing two sets with the rock band beginning around 11 am. Lots of booths for foods, a barbeque, and some members of the local chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution are there in full dress uniform. Kids (and adults) can sign up with them to be in General Washingon's army and learn how to load a musket. Some people also like to picnic in the park. In the afternoon there is a parade around the park and up the street. I would say that, unless it has changed in five years, it is not much and worth missing if you would like to take a short drive to downtown Redlands to catch a movie and then go to the fireworks show. (Tickets to enter the stadium show are sold at the celebration in the park.)

I know this is way long already, but I want to mention that the Redlands BOWL, home of the Redlands Summer Music Festival, will be dark on July 3th - but if you are in this area for awhile you may want to consider coming to the Bowl for a free concert. All concerts begin at 8 pm (get there early, at least 7:15).

Friday, June 29 - The U.S. Air Force Band of the Golden west

Friday, July 6 - Celtic Spring (Irish Dancing to original compositions). Very popular. Expect to arrive by 6:30

Tuesday, July 10 - Jazz and the Big Band (community sing at 7:15)

Also -----> Lake Arrowhead often has fireworks shows around the lake. I believe that they are scheduled dependant upon approval of fire officials. Sometimes their shows are on another day than the 4th.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

I guess we didn't mention that Redlands is about 30 minutes northeast of downtown Riverside. It may take close to an hour to get from Riverside to the park somewhere near the University of Redlands on the Fourth of July. Also, there are a few parks in Redlands and I forgot to mention that I was referring the Sylvan Park in my previous post.

Here are a couple of websites I found for you. One is a personal webpage of a person unknown to me; it has many pictures of Redlands, including the Quad at U of R and will allow you a visual frame of referrence. The other is a professional website regarding Redlands. Some of the information needs to be updated.

http://www.redlandsweb.com/

http://www.sutkin.net/Redlands.htm

By the way, I am a lover of both Redlands and Riverside and live in between the two cities! Make sure to have lunch at The Mission Inn when you are in Riverside, if at all possible, and enjoy a margarita in the sunshine!

Boston...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

Thanks gili and redlandsredhead..you have provided a lot of information all of which I will take on our trip. I've read about the mission and intend on having one or more of their margueritas. We are looking forward to our visit to your part of the world.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

Just a tip- It is supposed to be as hot as last year, we're talking between 105-117 degrees for the majority of summer. Be sure to pack light clothing, a decent hat, etc. The mexican restaurant at the Mission Inn has really bad service, and isn't very good. I can direct you to some area restaurants if you'd like, just ask. Have a great trip!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

I don't remember it being 117 on the Fourth last year! Perhaps this summer may be hot, but I doubt we will have the problems we had with humidity last year that made the warm temps feel worse. Normally our heat is a dry heat, not humid as some areas of New York in the summer. On the Fourth of July it will be probably be bearable. You might encounter a high of 90 in this area, but that would be in the mid-afternoon for a couple of hours. This is why, if you plan to go to Redlands, I would suggest skipping the parade and going to a movie.

Most likely the evening of the Fourth it will cool down quite a bit, so you may need a little sweater or hoodie for your fireworks show. If you do decide to go to the Quad at the University of Redlands, here is something to keep in mind. For some reason the grass gets pretty moist and somewhat chilly there after sundown - no matter if the night is warm - and little flying buggies come out close to the grass. (I think it has something to do with the kind of grass on the lawn.) A regular blanket that you may use for a picnic will soak up the moistness and make you uncomforable. So look for those picnic blankets that are advertised to stay dry and keep moistness from your skin. We have used good sleeping bags for out "blankets" and brought folding chairs. You may want to pick up a citronella candle.

The Mexican restaurant in the MIssion Inn, Las Campanas, is good. Service is spotty, but I have never had bad service. I have been there twice within the last month. I think you will be happy as long as you don't expect extraordinary service. It is fine and it is possible to tip at 15% instead of $20 because the server is not falling all over you. I have never had anyone at the Mission Inn be rude to me (and that includes the guys they bring in at Christmas for crowd control, they actually have quite a bit of class). The menu is limited at Las Campanas, but the food is good and the margaritas are the best!

I would recommend their flautas (choose between chicken filled or steak filled), which is an appetizer. It can be eaten as a meal or shared by two. It's my favorite. Once I didn't see it on the menu and when I asked I was told that it is served only for dinner but that they would ask the chef if he would make me a plate, which he did. My bill for my early dinner this week came to $20 with tax and tip. I had a plate of flautas, a regular margarita, and the complimentary chips with three types of sausas. I even had to take some food home! I think that's pretty good.

If you would like a finer dining experience with even better service you can go to the Mission Inn restaurant and request a courtyard table. I think the experience of dining in the courtyard, called the Spanish Patio, is wonderful. Duane's at the Mission Inn is far too expensive for most. There is also a nice Italian restaurant on the mall side of the Mission Inn with al fresco dining. Across from the Mission Inn is Mario's, which has excellent food and service and always seems to be humming with activity.

Boston...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

I'm getting all of this down. We are visiting relatives that live right in Riverside so I'm sure they will know a lot of these places but I also like to have an idea of the area. My SIL did ask what we would like to do so at least I had some answers, thanks to all of you.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

I just had lunch today at the Mission Inn Spanish Courtyard. It is in the middle of the Mission Inn and is very lovely. There is an interesting fountian in the middle and beautiful flowers all around with sweet little birds flying here and there. It's only my second time at that restaurant and I loved it. Above you there is a clock tower with figures inside. At each quarter of an hour the clock chimes and the figures move to reveal a new figure. I have to say that the classical music in this restaurant is nicer than the annoying Mexican music in the Las Campanas restaurant. I had an appetizer of chicken kabobs with a curry sauce on a bed of spinach and raisins. It was only $8.50! Enjoyed a margarita plus dessert. I was full and happy.

You'll like Riverside. It's a beautiful city.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

Just happened to find this page from the City or Riverside's website that has fireworks information and a whole lot more. There are actually more fireworks shows planned within Riverside than just Mt. Rubidoux. Also, good stuff is planned for the daytime in Fairmont Park in Riverside. Take a look.

http://www.riversideca.gov/park_rec/

10. Re: July 4 Celebrations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 10:23