We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

LLC
California
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

Hello, we are coming to Sacramento for two weeks with three kids, 4,6 & 8. Two boys and a girl. I need suggestions for activities. All suggestions welcome.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

It will depend on the time of year you come and what types of things your children like to do. Will you be able to leave town during your two week stay? Will you be staying at a home or do you need lodging?

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

I agree with Suzie, it would be helpful to know what your interests are and what time of year you are coming but here's a list of possibilities anyway.

First of all you'll want to spend at least a day or two in Old Sac.(Old Sacramento) There you'll find; the Railroad Museum(one of the best in the west and kid freindly), Discovery Museum, an old one room schoolhouse, riverboats and lots of Gold Rush era buildings. You can take a horsedrawn carriage tour of Old Sac, ride a steam train along the river, or rent bicycles(4wheel peddle carts too). Old Sac has many interesting shops and restaurants also. One restaurant that would be fun for the kids in Old Sac is Joe's Crab Shack.

If you or the kids are into baseball and you're here during the season a River Cats minor league baseball game might be fun. The Baseball park is just across the river from Old Sac. The stadium is real nice and they always have fun things for the kids like the big inflatable jumping toys.

In downtown you can; tour the State Capitol, go to Sutters Fort (especially if there's a living history day) and the adjacent Indian Museum. There's also an IMAX theater on K st. The main Sacto Library has a kids section and often has story times and other activities. 916 440-5926

McKinley Park has a great playground, duck pond and a nice rose garden with lots of ducks and squirrels to feed.

Land Park, to the south of town, has a Zoo and Fairytale Town.

Cal Expo has Waterworld (waterpark) and a Mini-Golf /batting cages etc. place. Nearby is Arden Fair Mall which has a large indoor Carousel.

The Marshall Gold Discovery Site in Coloma is a great fun/educational day trip. It has a visitors center and a replica of the mill where they first found gold, plus many original structures. Coloma is about an hour East of Sacto. If you're here at the right time of year (fall) a trip to High Hill Ranch in Apple Hill might be a possibility too.

I hope this helps, please post back if you have any questions.

Enjoy our town!!! ;-)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

I agree with most of what tripjunky recommends and as a mom with kids that age here are my comments:

If you are here in the summer and are looking for a water park I'd avoid Waterworld with children so young. It can be very crowded and is more geared toward the older kids. A better choice for families is Sunsplash located off I80 Eureka/ Atlantic exit in Roseville. Very clean and smaller but really fun. They also have arcade games, miniature golf and laser tag.

I agree with IMAX. Great place especially if there is any 3D movies playing.

The Railroad Museum is good and I agree with the McKinely park and Fairy Tale Town and the Zoo in Land Park which is great for the little ones.

Try the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield. (40 minutes west of sacto) Fun, smells good and you get free samples. They have expanded to include food area too if you want to grab lunch.

Great new and clean ice rink, Skate Town, in Roseville off Orlando. Take Riverside exit and go straight.

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

No arguments with anything here.

Depending on how mobile you are, I would also consider a run to Lake Tahoe, just for the scenery, and a drive to Auburn and then down Highway 49 through the Gold Rush country.

Gold River, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

I agree with all of the replies. I would also include a trip to Amador County. Check out the Gold Mine tour outside of Sutter Creek. There are also caverns which you can tour. Check out website www.caverntours.com

San Francisco is a day trip or overnighter you can easily do from Sacramento as well.

Folsom which is just outside of Sacramento has a public pool which includes a beach entry and wading..great for little ones and less "threatening" than the larger ones of Waterworld and Sunsplash.

Have fun!

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

Okay, so I'm going to brag.

If you're on Highway 49, stop in Mokelumne Hill -- it has California's oldest community church and oldest 3-story building, plus a haunted hotel...

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

Marine World in Vallejo is good day trip. Taking ride on Sacto river can be fun for kids. Calif State Fair in late August-early Sep. Jazz Festival on Memorial Day week.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
355 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

California Caverns is the best of the cave tours, and they have a sluice set up for gem mining. They have a covered area for eating and a gift shop with nice stuff for a reasonable price (always important for that endless souvenir shopping). It is not far from Sacramento.

There is a new Embassy Suites right in Old Sacramento. Always a great value for a family because of the room layout, free breakfast, and free drinks/cocktails in the evening. Plus, Old Sac is a great place to walk around at night after dinner. There is a mall across the freeway, but you don't even need a car as there is a walkway.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

Yes, the Folsom Aquatic Center (google it) is a good choice for kids your size. My small 10 year old loves it there too...there is a water "jungle gym", wading pool for the little ones, tubes for the older ones, 1 waterslide, and lots of diving boards for the older one.

sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Sacramento for two weeks with 3 kids 4,6 & 8...

The previous posts all contain good ideas. Here are a few more possibilities: 15 miles west of Sacto. (on I-80) is the City of Davis. Consider visiting the Explorit Science Center in Davis, arguably the best kids-oriented science center in the Central Valley. (For the adults, Davis has a quaint litle downtown with many bookstores, bike shops, several boutiques and art galleries, and some GREAT, exotic restaurants!)

Also, given that Sac. is only 85 miles from San Francisco, consider doing a day-trip there. Things to do with kids in SF: Cable Cars, Fisherman's Wharf, the Bay Cruise and, especially for boys, the Alcatraz tour!! Another way to do a day trip to SF would be to first drive over to Vallejo (west on I-80, about 40 miles from Sac.) and take the Vallejo Ferry boat (1 hour each way and a spectacular, scenic ride) which dumps you off at either Fisherman's Wharf or the Ferry Bldg. at Market Street. Check their website for schedules, etc.. I've done the Vallejo Ferry "method" numerous times over the years with out-of-town relatives who brought kids along. As a penninsula, SF is so small and compact, you really don't need a car if you do a little advance planning for a day-trip. Good luck.