We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

white water river rafting

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
white water river rafting

I am planning a three day river rafting trip for my husband and 15 yr. old son. They are going on the South/Middle American Fork River. I am looking into rafting companies. I've narrowed it down to All-Outdoors or American Whitewater Expeditions. Has anyone rafted with either company and can you tell me your experience? thanks!

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: white water river rafting

People who raft, many times, like one company and stay with it. I'm no exception.

I don't know about AO, so I can't speak about them.

However, I'm extremely familiar with AWE. I raft several times each summer with them, and know their staff. They go out of their way to make sure you have an excellent trip! When you get there, they greet you and tell you what to expect, what the schedule is, where to set up your tent (if you are camping there with them). In the morning, there's a good, hearty breakfast, and they tell you which guide you'll be with. Then you get your safety gear (life vest and helmet - by the way - AWE is, as far as I know, the only company to use helmets on the SFork - which you want, lots of rocks!) and paddle and go get on a van or bus. The drivers are great, local school bus drivers who know every curve on the road, and they're careful to make sure you don't get sick on the winding roads :), and funny, too. When you get to put-in, your guide will check your life vest for fit, and you'll have a safety talk. Once on the river, you'll learn and practice paddling a wee bit before going down the river. The guides are great!!! Funny, outgoing, and they'll give you history of the area, too. Many of the guides travel the world rafting, or are Kiwis (New Zealanders) so they've got great stories, too. Depending on what trip you are on, they'll either pull off the river, or come into camp for lunch. Lunch is a hearty gourmet type, all you can eat, delicious. Then back on the river for more, if you have a full day trip. If you are spending the night again, dinner is awesome! Then a slideshow of all of the guests on the river. JT is the manager this year, he has been a guide for AWE, and he is just great (Peter, we do miss you though, mate!). He'll make sure you have a great trip.

When are your husband and son thinking of going? Now through June, the water is cold, and runs higher, and they wear wetsuits. July through September, the water is warmer and lower, and it's hot in the foothills. When I say lower, the rapids are still there, but different than in "high" water. Although, this year, not much snow or rain, so I don't know that the water is higher. There are less rafters earlier in the year, for sure.

Whichever way they choose, it'd be great to see a trip report afterwards! Tell them to have fun!

2. Re: white water river rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 07:21