We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American River Tubing

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
American River Tubing

We are going to be rafting for a day on the North Fork and want to tube another day if possible. Is there tubing on the river this time of year? (Late July) If so, is there someone who rents tubes? We prefer to just play around on our own than do an organized outing. Thanks -

PS If this is the wrong time of year, when is a good time to tube? Ruth

Northern California
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American River Tubing

"Casual" tubing is done west of Folsom and Natoma lakes, usually starting around where Sunrise Blvd meets the river. Very little white water, and moderate currents. The under currents can be strong though; many people underestimate the under current. Rafting here is done through August/September I believe. I don't think there is much tubing done on the south, middle and north forks east of the lakes.

Here's a website that provides raft rentals; I'm not sure about tube rentals. http://www.river-rat.com/raft_rentals.htm

Something to consider if you're looking for a causal water day is a kayak/paddle boat/wind surf/etc. rentals on Lake Natoma. Decent picnic area and no need to take a beat up, hot, smelly raft rental bus back "up river" to your car. :)

http://www.csusaquaticcenter.com/

Napa, California
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: American River Tubing

My friends and i float this fairly regularly, and drive from the Bay Area to do it. Your best bet is launching at Hazel ave and floating past Goethe to Gristmill. You dont have to pay at Hazel, and Gristmill is self payment so you only need to pay for the vehicle you leave there, rather than Goethe which charges entry for EVERY vehicle.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American River Tubing

Be prepared to be surrounded by trashy rednecks if you opt to tube on the American River.

When we moved to Sacramento last year in July, we went to the American River off Sunrise Blvd our first weekend just to walk around and went in to complete culture shock--I grew up in Denver and want nothing more to do with this foul city. We're moving in just two months.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: American River Tubing

you launched at sunrise which is where all the idiots on rental rafts launch from.

Let me know if you would like to give it another try and i will be happy to show you how it is done in style

unless of course having a cooler floating in a tube filled with cheap beer is also too redneck for you.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American River Tubing

Frasier78, so sorry you don't like Sacramento and had a bad experience on your first weekend. We moved to the area 8 years ago and love it here. Yes, I've heard that there are a lot of trashy people who do raft rentals on the lower American, and so our family hasn't gone there, yet. But all of the greater Sacramento area is not "foul." Renting a kayak at Lake Natomas is lovely, and the upper American River is where we spend most of our summers. And I've heard that the lower American river tubing/floating is at its worst on holiday weekends. I haven't been, but now with your comment, we'll be trying it out to give some firsthand feedback!

Hope you will be happy back home in Colorado. Sometimes moving to a different place IS a culture shock - it was for me, moving from urban Southern CA. But I just wanted to say, although you have a different opinion, my opinion is that all of Sacramento is not a foul place, in fact, just the opposite; most of it is VERY nice; there are a couple of places that attract foul people, just like in any city. But, to each their own.

Ruth: are you sure you are rafting on the North Fork in July? North Fork is a wild river and not dam controlled. It usually dries up to a trickle by end of May/beginning of June (my dh works for a rafting company). Maybe you are going on Middle Fork? Whoo-hoo! Tunnel Chute, how fun is that???!!

Another option for tubing is in Tahoe City (the northwest part of Lake Tahoe). It's about 1.5 hours away, gorgeous scenery. They rent you the tube, and you go on your own, and they have a bus bring you back.

Have fun!

San Leandro, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American River Tubing

We will be camping at Folsom Lake and am also looking for a spot on the American to go tubing. Please advise on a good put-in location and tube rental locations. Thank you!

Sacramento
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: American River Tubing

I am planning a Tubing excursion for a friend's bachelor party down the American. I am planning on putting in at Sailor Bar, but was wondering whether it is safe to end around Sac State? Perhaps ending at Paradise Beach or around that area.

Can someone tell me if that trip is safe? How long of a trip would that be? I see the suggestion to end at Goethe Park, but we'd like to go further. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

San Leandro, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: American River Tubing

Would someone kindly tell me what kind/type of inner tubes are save to go down American River and where I can buy them. Thank you!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: American River Tubing

Personally ive never heard of anyone tubing much past watt due to the river going slow, but that doesnt mean it cant be done

as for purchasing tubes, les schwab tire center has em, and if they dont they are bound to know someone who will

if you want to get fancy, big 5 has them asweel but they arent as strong as the ones that are used for cars / trucks.

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American River Tubing

Here is some more information about river tubing on the American River and other nearby rivers.

<a href="…blogspot.com/2009/08/river-tubing-skills-te…">River Tubing Techniques & Safety Skills - BRT Insights.</a>