We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

New Rochelle
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

Hi I'm 27 married and have a 1 yr old. I'm thinking of moving to California because I'm sick of the winter in new york and the overrated prices. I'm looking into areas outside of Sacramento because I have some friends there. After doing a little research I'm starting to wonder if my lifestyle would be that different from NY in terms of weather and cost of living. One thing we lack in NY is space. I'd like to buy a house with a backyard for my daughter to play in that's not going to cost an arm and a leg and that won't be 50yrs old. What I need info on is the job market for a financial analysts and tennis instructor/teacher. Good school district and if they are any new yorkers what you miss about NY. And cost of living compared to NY ex. car insurance,property tax,day care etc I'm also really into fashion and cuisine so I need to know about malls and restaurant and access to supermarkets with diverse foods. I know this is a lot but I thought I'd be specific so I can get specific answers

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

Hi, I can only help you with some of your questions...there are lots of areas of Sacramento with homes with big backyards, although the older homes have the biggest yards. There are a lot of newer homes, but the yards are not as big. Expect a new home to probably be in the $400-500k range to start. We get rain in the winter with daytime temps in the 50s, nights down in the high 30s. If you go up above Placerville or Auburn, though, expect some snow. For the job market, check out our local paper, www.sacbee.com . I don't recommend the Sacramento City Unified School District, I taught there for 2 months last year and quit because the principal refused to suspend students who beat up each other and terrorized the other kids...it was a nightmare. Elk Grove has a lot of new homes and schools, but can't build schools fast enough, so you may live across the street from a school, but your child will get bussed, I don't recommend that. I recommend the San Juan School District, the Folsom-Cordova School District (in Folsom), and the Buckeye School District in El Dorado County. I'm sure Roseville also has a good district. Day care depends on where you live. Property taxes are 1% of the price of your home....I bought my home for $260k, my property taxes are $2600/year. Fashion...there are stores here, but I wouldn't call anything here high fashion. You could go to San Francisco or LA for that. Cuisine, though, we have some great restaurants. We have ethnic areas (not as many as NY, though!) where I go to get ethnic supermarket food (mainly mexican and asian). Again, San Francisco makes a great day trip!!!.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

Please look into Vacaville, the drive to Sacramento for employment is easy and quick. Tons of beautiful parks for the baby, I was most impressed that there was no graffiti at the parks, as I come from a big city and all the parks are well maintained here. Lots of day cares too. Our city is becoming so trendy...I'm also from the east coast and yes, I was tired of wearing a winter coat for 3/4 of the year. Our factory outlet stores are great, also close to the Solano Mall. Restaurants are going up all over, there is a new place called Kings Buffet, ate there yesterday, you would certainly be impressed. THE LARGEST BUFFET I'VE EVER SEEN. From sushi to pizza to squid to turkey.

I moved here in 2000, we usually take day trips all over and honestly there is so much to see and do, family and adult alike. Since I didn't know where anything was, I used the internet to find all the special places Northern California has to offer and I'm still finding new places to go all the time.

We're close to San Fran, Napa, and Sacramento. I agree with Justducky2 about the sacbee.com, it's very useful for "what's happening", our newspaper isn't as "up-to-date" it's thereporter.com, you won't get much out of it. Use ask Jeeves and yahoo maps to find lots of info about Vacaville and best of luck to you and your family.

Antelope, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

Hi. I recommend the Roseville and Antelope areas. I live in Antelope and love it. But if you prefer closer to the big stores, try Roseville. There is a huge mall called the Galleria. It has the current fashion shops such as Banana Republic, Abercrombie, etc. And Walmart, Kohls, and Target are about a mile away from the mall. Roseville has great school districts, Dry Creek and Roseville unified. Antelope and West Roseville are growing as we speak. You can find a home in Antelope for under $400 (3b/2b)

Good luck.

Newcastle,ca
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

Hello,

Another great area is Auburn, close to Sacramento, but not in the burbs. Great schools, downtown area, local events and things to do.

Let me know if you want more info.

Mark

SacramentoCA
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

I think a New Yorker would enjoy Midtown for the aesthetics of older homes, tree-lined streets, cafes/markets, and convenience to the downtown. Check out SacramentoMidtown.com...All the great restaurants are in Midtown

With kids, I'd recommend East Sac (95816, 95819), Land Park (95818), Arden Park (95825), and South Land Park (95822) neighborhoods. Oh, but wait, you want a newer house? Check out Natomas (95835). But I think you'll find the 50 year old houses here have equally-aged trees that the new developments don't.

For cost of living, you'll find fresh fruit and veggies are cheap at the Farmer's Market (held daily throughout the summer in the downtown area, weekly in the winter). Check out Safeway.com for actual prices that you can compare.

Heating bills are minimal, it's cooling that you worry about. SMUD.org and PG&E are our two providers. Depending on where you'll live you'll use one or both.

School districts range but San Juan Unified is generally recognized to be one of the best (located just outside the City of Sacramento). check out GreatSchools.net for more info.

Daycare ranges - http://www.childaction.org/

I pay $650 for an excellent PreK program in a school.

Home taxes are based on the sales price and, in Sacramento County that means $.012 of the sales price annually.

Sales tax is 7.75% I think.

My husband is a financial analyst and we have a friend who is one. I guess I'd say that they have jobs, so you could probably get one. The city's state workers have solid employment which might be a good option to research.

I'd be happy to help if you move to Sacramento! Best of luck!

california
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: New Yorker Moving to Sacramento

I am 33 - relocated from NJ/NY to CA 8 years ago. Be prepared for a huge shock. I like Sacramento, but the things you are very accustomed to on the east coast (prolific culture, a plethora of great and diverse restaurants opened late, an established and well developed social scene, broad range of unique shops, etc.) are simply not available here in similar quantity and quality. Also, the public transportation system leaves a lot to be desired...you need a car to get anything accomplished. Things I like about CA: weather, rivers, lakes, hiking, kayaking and biking, wine, great produce, nearly year-round outdoor options, people smile a lot, proximity to SF, Napa, Tahoe, Monterey, somewhat affordable housing (you can afford a home in a great neighborhood without strangling yourself with your mortgage). Things I miss: city energy (that includes people, speed, diversity and history), great pizza that's reasonably priced, cool buildings, a variety of immigrants and the influences they have on a community, a large number of choices for food and entertainment well into the night, the neighborhood intimacy of NY (people don't have "stoops" here - they tend to keep to themselves more than east coasters), the jersey shore, effective and numerous public transportation, better freeway systems There's nothing like the NJTP or the GSP), The three D's: delis, dunkin' donuts and diners...Good luck with what you are planning to do!! I did not spellcheck so please, pardon if there are spelling errors!!