We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Is this possible please for a day trip?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Yes. Completely possible. There are very frequent bus/train combinations from San Francisco to Sacramento and vice-versa. It takes about 2 1/2 hours each way.

see www.amtrak.com for details

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Yes - the train station is in Emeryvile though. There are two trains: San Joaquin and Capital Corridor.

Here are the direct links:

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

and

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Definitely possible. From the Sacto train station you can walk or take a bus to Old Town or the Capitol or mid town, where there are lots of restaurants. Check Amtrak for schedules and fares.

Level Contributor
145 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

You could also take BART from SF to the ABRT Richmond station and then transfer to Amtrak (which is what I did last time I did this; I find it easier than the Amtrak bus connection from SF to Emeryville). The BART station and Amtrak station are right next door within a few yards of each other and transfers back and forth are quite easy.

Mentioned in this post
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,403 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Is there a specific reason you are going to visit Sac ? The rail museum perhaps ? Old town ? The reason I ask is that we don't see many requests for a trip to our State's capital and i presume you are doing trips to other great areas to visit such as Yosemite, Big Sur, Carmel and the Wine Country as well ?

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Yes, It is easy. You can book through the Amtrak website listed above.

In the 'From' box type in San Francisco and 7 options will pop up, pick the one that is most convenient for you. These are spots in San Francisco where an Amtrak Bus will pick you up and take you directly to the Emeryville station. Where you will then catch a train.

In Sacramento the California Railroad Museum and Old Sacramento is two blocks west of the Amtrak station.

http://www.oldsacramento.com/

The State Capitol is 5 blocks south and 7 blocks east of the train station. And some great restautants are just east of the Capitol.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Emeryville
Emeryville
California
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
California
California
United States
Old Sacramento
Old Sacramento
2,662 Reviews
Sacramento, CA
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Excuse me, but Sacto can be a destination in and of itself. There is no reason to question why someone would want a day trip to Sac.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Getting to Sacramento by train is easy. Though takes a bit of time with the connections. It's not as easy to get around Sacramento without a car though. Depending on where you want to visit. Railroad Museum, State Capitol, downtown... no problem. You can walk around. Beyond that may need a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

Sacramento is a good destination for anybody who's interested in trains and/or history. The combination of hot weather and adequate rain along big rivers produces a much lusher landscape than in the Bay Area.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to Sacramento by train

We are in San Francisco for 7 days before coming back to the UK and plan to spend 3 days in SF and 4 days visiting nearby places. I thought a day trip each to; Nappa, Sacramento and if possible Yosemite Park - depending on weather, we shall be visiting in January? I have been told it may be difficult to get to Yosemite Park by car so I was considering a day tour, although it will be a long day then hiring a car for Nappa and Sacramento. What do you think?

Mentioned in this post