We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone care?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone care?

Why is this forum so inactive?

Sacramento is the capital of the most diverse and most populated state in the US. There is a ton to do in Sacramento and its environs. Sacramento itself is a fantastic tourist attraction. Why is this forum snoozing?

Yeh, I'm biased as I was born and raised in Sacramento and my ancestors are buried in the Old Pioneer Cemetery on Broadway (another incredible attraction --- with its history and gardens)... so what's the deal? Why no activity??

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone care?

I lived in Sac for 10 years. It's an OK place but it's not "a fantastic tourist attraction".

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone care?

Sacramento just doesn't seem to be on the radar for most national and international travelers. For some reason Las Vegas grabs all the attention; they must have the best public relations firm in the world. So many travelers planning a trip around California on this site want to include Las Vegas, even though it is a long way from almost everything in California. Yet they all want to go to Las Vegas as part of the trip. Maybe Sacramento should hire you to start a P.R. campaign for them, in raising awareness among travelers. You'd be perfect for it because you have the interest and enthusiasm about it that is necessary to properly promote something.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone care?

My theory...most people want to stay as far away as possible from politicians, especially while on vacation. If true, being the Capitol of CA doesn't work in your favor.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone care?

Maybe you could create some traveler articles and intinaries for Sac. It is one the way to some very popular destinations--Tahoe--SF.

A lot of CA forums are quiet. The SF forum is fairly slow this time of year too.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone care?

I think it is Location, Location, Location... If you look where tourists come from, usually by air) and where they go, you will see a big Pattern.

Anaheim is the big one, in-between the Disneyland Resort (over 20 million guests each year), the largest Convention Center on the West Coast next door (Anaheim Convention Center), two major Sports teams, and lots of Shopping and Dining and many other tourist attractions with an easy drive in Orange County.

San Diego is another big one, compact area, lots of major tourist attractions and much more. (has an International Airport, but only a few flights a day, mainly from Mexico)

San Francisco is a very popular city, one of the big two International Airports in the state and a couple of other options in the area (OAK and SJC), plus many nearby places in the Bay Area, such as the Napa Valley.

And of course, Los Angeles has the main airport set of International Flights (LAX), though many transfer to other flights, or head to places like Anaheim, there are plenty that head to Hollywood and the surrounding areas.

Sacramento has a couple of issues, the Airport is used a lot by Californians who need to deal with folks in the Capitol, or work in the Capitol, and not many tourist use the airport. The other issue, it is a bit out of the way, especially to those planning to visit the Bay Area.

Was watching an episode of California Gold with Huell Howser, which we get 7 days a week here in the Southland, as the station who produces it is "Public Television" but no longer a PBS station, so has a lot of programming spaces to fill. The focused on Old Town Sacramento and how they raised the streets by about 10 feet due to flooding issues in the 1860's.

http://oldsacramento.com/history.php

IMHO, it is a city worth visiting, but is somewhat off the path from many other major tourist areas that fight for Tourism dollars every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone care?

Whooppee!

I just wrote this and people responded. How cool.

Have to be honest ---- we're working on our high school reunion (in Sacramento, of course) and I'm looking at all the cool things to do and I wondered why the TA forum isn't more active.

Agreed on the government stuff. My son is a Fed in DC and I can barely stand to go back there to visit.....except for the grand-children.

Seems I've awakened something, so will work on articles. Obviously, much of this is **personal** as my ancestors came to Sacramento for the Gold Rush AND my grandfather and great-grandfather were riverboat captains on the Sacramento River. They were "the commerce" on the River, going back and forth from Sac to SF and everything in between. That's how people got things done in those days. It was "the Internet" of the early 20th century.

OK folks....thanks for responding so fast. If anyone wants to help me on travel articles, please respond. Bottom-line --- the place (Sacramento) is spread out (way far from the city limits) and there are too many 'burbs but Sacramento itself has a charm/history that is deep. It's hard to describe but, believe me, there is something there.

Thanks to all who do care.

PS to edit: I sped read your post, darkbeer, and know that all so well ---- we used to hear that all the time. But, everytime I go see my elderly mother, I think.....this place is getting much more *cool* as I get older. I'm a 5th gen Californian and have lived/traveled all over the US. Maybe it's time I get back to my roots, in Sacramento. Ya think? wow....I love the responses.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 04:13
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone care?

A forum only gets active when travelers start asking questions about the place. I'm guessing that people who already know Sacramento and are going back for a reunion (or already love and enjoy it) don't have much need of asking questions on TA.

We did run into a guy in Italy (in Ferrara, actually) who dreamed of a trip to Sacramento. And some people seeking to find an airport close to Yosemite do choose Sacramento (although I think far more choose San Francisco).

You could definitely hang out some on the Tahoe/Yosemite forums and suggest Sacramento activities for people who are traveling east/west or vice versa.

Gold Country is another region that doesn't get as much attention as it should...

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone care?

I do remember a recent post that asked about Shopping in and around the Sacramento area, and mainly Outlets. They said they planned on the Vacaville Outlets outside of town. Also in the area, but not in Sacramento City, the Jerry Belly Factory and a Budweiser Brewery, both of which offer tours daily and right off the main freeway between the Bay Area and Sacramento.in Fairfield. So maybe some short excursions outside the proper city to help allow folks to stay for a few days.

Here is a link to the official Sacramento Tourism site.

http://discovergold.org/

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone care?

I love Sacramento too. But be honest it is not a tourist destination. Especially for foreign visitors. If you fly 15+ hour from Europe or Asia, or >20 from Australia, would visiting California's Capitol buidling or "Old Town" Sacramento be high on your list? No. They go to see the Golden Gate Bridge, taste the wine in Napa Valley, admire Half Dome at Yosemite, or see the Hollywood sign and walk the Walk of Fame! Or the Hearst Castle. Or the San Diego Orange County Beaches. There are just so many places in California that compete for tourist's precious time (not to mention dollars).

The same thing can be said for domestic USA tourists too. If I fly out to the Washington DC area, the Inner Baltimore Harbor is probably low on my list to visit.

Don't feel so bad. Have you visited Albany, New York? I haven't. Nor have I visited most of the capitals of the 50 states.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,721 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone care?

Did you know Downieville was in the running for capitol of CA? Yeah, can you imagine?

I am also a 5th generation Californian, family came during the Gold Rush too, so I get really excited about this type of history. But yeah, it isn't on the top 10 list of most visitors to CA. And in some respects, that is GOOD.