We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Would like to visit:

- IMAX theatre;

- Railroad Museum

- Sacramento River Train

Any other place that I should not miss out?

Thanks for advice.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

The Sheraton Grand is very close to the IMAX as is the Hyatt (our governor's sacto home). On the other hand the new Embassy Suites is near the Old Sacramento which will be closer to the Railroad Museum and the Train. I know there is a hotel near Macys before you cross under the freeway but it's really old. The Embassy is right on the river while the Sheraton and the Hyatt are along the K street Mall near restaurants.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Thanks. Any comments on Ramada Limited Discovery Park?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Well if you were planning to drive to the various sites you listed that would be fine. Personally I'm not crazy about the Richards Road area Hotels. They are north of the downtown/Captital Mall area but right off the freeway so it's convenient enough.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Thanks and yes I will driving in US.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

I would stay at the Sterling Hotel, a beautiful Victorian place. With the convenient shuttles and light rail, you can get just about anywhere.

I would visit the State Capitol. It is beautiful inside, and the rose garden is lovely. Who knows, you might even see Governor Arnold!!

Old Sacramento is fun, has boardwalks and gives you the idea of California during the Gold Rush in the 1850s. It is right next to the Railroad Museum.

If you want to see some beautiful homes, drive east on J street (away from Interstate 5) to around 40th Street. This area is called the Fabulous 40s, and has wonderful tree-shaded streets with gorgeous homes.

Have fun, and welcome to California!

sacramento
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

I would suggest a visit to Sutter's Fort. It is the closest thing to the 'Old West' in California and a taste of the Gold Rush of 1849. In warm weather a raft trip down the American River is a treat--lots of rentals available. The State Capital building (office of Gov. Arnold) is an historic restoration too.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,645 posts
5,367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Sacramento....

If you can time your trip to come in end August, you can go to the California State Fair. Great fun; quite enjoyable and you can spend the entire day there. There are lots of exhibits and it will give you the flavor of the entire state.

In regards to places to stay in Sacramento, concur that Embassy Suites (great location to Sacramento River, Old Town, Railroad Museum, River Train is ideal.). I would recommend Embassy Suites so you can go to/from these activities just by walking a very short walk.

If you go to IMAX you will be about 5 minutes walk away from the State Capitol. You might want to walk the grounds and stroll in....Who knows? You might get a chance to see

Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is also the area where there are some museums such as the Californian Indian Museum.

Its well worth spending an hour or so around the capitol and the grounds. The Sheraon which is just around the corner from IMAX is nice.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

Another possibility is to stay on the Delta King. It is an original riverboat that is permanately docked in Old Sac. It has a very nice restaraunt and is a very unique place with a history all it's own.

9. Re: Is it good to stay in Sacramento downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2007, 12:18