We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

I'm an HHonors member, so I know what I get with Embassy Suites. The Sheraton Grand is closer to the Convention Center where I'll be spending some time, so I am considering that as a plus.

I like to walk around and see the sites a little bit. Is either location better suited? Better restaurants nearby?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is the Sheraton Grand worth passing up the Hilton Points I'd get at Embassy Suites-Riverfront

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

The Embassy is better situated for walking around since it is in Old Town. Several restaurants within a couple blocks.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Worth it? Up to you. What about the difference in price? Embassy Suites would be near Old Sacramento, which has several restaurants. And a great railroad museum; and a very good car museum nearby. But looks like nearly 1.5 miles to the convention center. You'd be driving, walking or using public transortation? Sheraton almost next to the convetntion center, so if you're going back and forth alot, that could be a big benefit. Several restaurants in the area, but, as I recall, quieter at night overall (I'm basing tha ton Old Sac; I'm not famiiliar with immediate ES neighborhood at night). We stayed at the Hyatt Regency 2-3 years ago and quite liked it (on a more recent trip we stayed at Le Rivage, along the Sacramento River, but that's be even further from the convention center). My biggest concern about the Embassy Suites would be its proximity to I-5, but the reviews don't seem to mention that.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 19:31
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Sheraton would be closer to the Capitol, Captil Park, etc. ES, as noted, closer to Old Sacramento. Have you been?

Edited: 20 September 2012, 19:34
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Near the Sheraton:

Esquire Grill - quite good

Pizza Rock - Super Fun

Ella Dining Room - Spectacular

Spataro - Very Good

Chops - Good

could go on

Near Embassy:

Firehouse - excellent

Ten/22 - very good eat on the patio is you can.

Fat City - good

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Thanks everyone!

This will be my first stay in Sacramento. The Convention Center is just one day, so its not like I'll be going back and forth a whole lot.

I'll have a rental car and a 1.5M walk won't kill me if push comes to shove.

I do have some wiggle room on prices - ES gives me breakfast which is one less receipt to fill out on the trip report to accounting, so it sorta balances out.

Incidentally, the day after the show I'll be driving all day from Sacramento to San Diego. Anything worthwhile to check out on the ride down I-5?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Unfortunately no. There isn't any reason to stop on that long drive down I-5. It will vary from being totally boring to challengingly urban.

That ES in Sacramento is in a fantastic spot, right on the river.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
665 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

If it is only one night I would chose Sheraton just because its right there. Also because it has an excellent restaurant in it and great choices surrounding it.

As far as the drive, there is nothing to see along the way. I will say I love to stop at Harris Ranch for a great lunch. I believe its about 3 hours into the drive from Sacramento. Its in the middle of no where but they have a great restaurant and store/bakery on site.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Looks like you're leaning towards the ES. I'm sure you'd pay for parking at either place, but I can't imagine parking at the ES being more than the Sheraton. The drive to I-5 to SD will be very long and, as noted, largely boring. We ate at Harris Ranch once and liked it (you'll know you're getting close when you see-- and smell-- the stockyards just east of I-5 north of Kettleman City). Hope you can avoid rush hour through the greater Los Angeles area. Back to Sac: we liked Fat City more than the Firehouse in terms of good, but liked the original Frank Fat's (Chinese) downtown even more. I think the ES may have a popular restaurant or lounge. Enjoy Sacramento, and do visit the railroad museum and, if you have time, the car museum. We also liked the free tours in the Capitol.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 21:39
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

Avoid LA at rush hour at all costs. Modern man should not have to endure it and you have to traverse the whole LA area.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Embassy Suites or Sheraton Grand in Sacramento?

#9: unless one takes Hwy. 58 or Hwy. 138 from I-5 over to I-15 and enters SD from that inland route. Avoids L.A., but more miles than I-5.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 14:20