We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities with relatively active parents

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Activities with relatively active parents

My husbands parents (in their early and late 60's) are coming into town for TG. They'll be here Monday - Saturday next week. I am trying to think of something fun for them to do Friday. We've got plans lined up for the rest of the day. Previously we thought we'd take them to SF, but traffic might be crazy on Black Friday. They really like boat trips, are there any on American River? We will have already taken them around the capital and the Governar's mansion and old town sacramento by this time. My father in law enjoys touristy things like parks, monuments etc, so any input there would be good. If people have suggestions for day trips (other than Napa/SF/Sonoma) I'd be interested in those as well. We are thinking about driving to Tahoe for the day but that would depend on the weather.

Thanks in advance!

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Where are they from? If my family were from the East Coast I would take them to the Gold Country and Highway 49. If they were from the Midwest and had not seen the Pacific I would take them to SF, Stinson Beach or Mt. Tam. I do not think I80 or I50 will be busier on Black Friday. If they are like me, I'd be glad just to go to the Train Museum or to Crocker Gallery and then to dinner, as I came to Davis to visit you.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Gold Country is a good suggestion. How about Gold Discovery State Park? How about the Nimbus Salmon breeding place?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

How about HWY 49? Visit gold discovery site at Coloma; nice park. Auburn is a fun little town. Drive down through Sutter Creek and Angels Camp(frog jumping). Nice drive; scenic.

A couple of good restaurants in Auburn are Pelican's Roost (average price; fish & chips) or Monkey Cat (upscale, pricey, very good). or check TA for other options.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Curious also about where they are from. The East? Agree with the suggestions of Highway 49 --- going off the newer highway and down into the small towns (such as Sutter Creek), especially if they enjoy photography, in addition to wandering the sidewalks of old towns.

One of my favorite places (if people like history, monuments, stunning photo ops) is the Old Sacramento City Cemetery (once you get past the cemetery concept). It's truly a beautiful place with knowledgeable people in the little building --- history of Northern California right there. You could add that on to another day (not Friday) though, since it's right in town.

Do skip a drive to SF that day ---- I've done it many times that day and it's generally miserable. Also skip Tahoe. Got stuck in unexpected (and un-forecasted) blizzards twice on that week-end. Too chancy, especially if you're trying to do it in just one day.

If they are active, I bet they'll enjoy anything you put together for them, where they can walk and wander. Sounds like that's what you are doing. Have they been to Sacramento before?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Missed my edit window: If by chance you decide on the Gold Country (the southern part, going through Jackson, Mokelume Hill, Angels Camp (frog stuff is in May), etc. --- make sure to make Murphys (about 9 miles East of Angels Camp, up Highway 4) a destination. Lots of fantastic scenery, wine tasting, boutique shopping, excellent restaurants, Gold Rush history, etc.

It's one of our favorite overnight destinations but you can do it in a day. If the weather holds, Calaveras Big Trees is right up the road. Something special for people not from California.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Thanks so much for the suggestions! They are coming from Michigan, but they used to live in Southern California. They've traveled extensively in CA but not recently. Last year they came to vist and stayed in SF, unfortunately they hated SF (breaks my heart to write that!) but they are older and SF is very different from Michigan and Southern California. I'll definitely look into the suggestions, Gold Discovery site sounds like something they'd enjoy. Old Sac Cemetery sounds like a place I'd enjoy! I don't know what they'd think of it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,171 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

My goodness! You make 60 sound like it is decrepit!

We are the same age and we love San Francisco so it has nothing to do with age! I agree that going to Gold Country is a great idea!!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Old City Cemetary is actually off Broadway so don't confuse it with the location of Old Sac:

sacbee.com/2012/11/17/4992646/lambasted-in-n…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Riff --- You made me laugh since I'm in the general age-range of Zee's parents-in-law also and last Sunday, Mr. Marly (who was born in SF but we live between SF and Sacramento, where I was born) did a 14-hour day to-and-from SF with activities all day (Trip Report is on the San Francisco TA Forum) and we had a BLAST!

I think the key item in Zee's description was that her parents-in-law are "active" so it surprises me also that they didn't love SF, since Zee does and the sky is the limit, on possibilities. To each his/her own though.

The Old City Cemetery is on 10th and Broadway in Sacramento so it would be very, long tiring walk from Old Sac (thus not recemmonded if you are trying to cram a lot in) and when they are doing events at the cemetery, there isn't enough parking inside, so you have to park outside the iron gates. However, my ancestors (California pioneers) are buried there so I go at least once a year (on a day when there is no event so I park by the family plot and walk around) as it is not only an historic cemetery, the volunteers have turned it into an arboretum. Gorgeous in blooming season!! That's why I asked if parents-in-law enjoyed photography. It's a "wanderers and photographer's dream."

Enjoy your wanderings with family.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 18:41
Rancho Cordova...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities with relatively active parents

Check out the community of Locke in the Delta, it's a town built by Chinese immigrants and still has the old west feel. It's only about 30 minutes away from downtown Sac. AL the WOP's (stands for without papers) serves up a very unusual but tasty steak dinner for a reasonable price. It's off the beaten path but it is a great place for a day trip.