We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

Hello,

I am visiting Sacramento for the first time next year and will be attending a concert at the Sleep Train Arena during my stay.

I'm trying to chose a hotel location (near airport or downtown), based on public transport access from the Arena.

I would just like to know if there is public transport available from the arena after an event?

Some concerts do not finish until after 11pm and from what I have seen on the SACRT website, the bus services do not run that late at night.

Is this correct or have I misread the bus schedule?

Are there 'special' event-night-only bus services which run on these nights?

Thankyou

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

I am not sure but I highly doubt that there will be any bus service to the Arena.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

Less than a mile from the arena:

Holiday Inn Express

Hamptom Inn & Suites

Homewood Suites

There is lots more of that style lodging nearby, all fairly new. You can just take a cab to your hotel. Sacramento doesn't really have good public transportation

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

To add onto what suzie says, as she knows her stuff, I'll make a pitch for the Holiday Inn Express in Natomas. It's less than a mile from the arena --- so if you ended up feeling comfortable with that area and knew where you were going, you could actually walk back to the hotel, with a flashlight. I'm not seriously suggesting you do that late at night but just making a point that it's less than a mile.

We've stayed in two Holiday Inn Expresses quite recently (not this one but one in Baltimore and another in Downtown Sacramento --- both last month, for several days each) and the brand name is comfortable and gives excellent value. It's consistent in service and and amenities. They have a 24-hour shuttle to the airport and used to pick up at the arena, but no longer as it got too confusing and messy. The continental breakfast is varied, fresh and healthy.

The issue, as said above, is that Sacramento's public transportation comes up short to places such as the arena (miles outside the main core of Sacramento) and, also, how long will you be staying? If you stay at one of the hotels near the arena and don't have a car, you'll be stuck miles away from some good restaurants and attractions in Downtown if you're planning to stay for more than a day or so.

Let us know if we can help more, if you're staying longer. Much more to do and see than just the Sleep Train Arena events, while you are in the area --- as you probably know.

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

Thankyou for your replies.

I will only be in town for two days on this occasion.

Travelling on my own, the aim is to avoid using taxi's where possible to save money.

Would anyone know a rough guess as to how much a taxi fare to the airport, or to downtown from the Sleep Train arena would cost?

The route #11 bus from downtown passes by close enough to the arena, so If I can find a hotel that is within walking distance from both the arena and route #11 bus then I should be ok as I arrive into Sacramento during the day when the bus service is still operating.

In saying that, is the Natomas area fairly safe to walk alone at night?

Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

I hope someone who has spent more time there than I have (we always drive and stay in a hotel closer to Interstate 80 in the South Natomas area) will answer.

I see by your profile that you are a young male and walking in the area alone during daylight would be no problem (if you can get a bearing on where you are), although the arena has a vast parking lot and it can be confusing.

On your behalf, I called the Holiday Inn Express last night (since I'm used to staying in that brand-- so used it as an example -- and the one nearby is less than a mile away) and they told me they used to have shuttle pick-up from the arena but things got messy when a guest would call and ask for a pick-up and they would show up and every person staying at the Holiday Inn Express departing the arena at the same time wanted to jump in the small van.

To me, leaving the arena parking lot in the dark is confusing. The last time we were there we couldn't find our car. Two old ladies. So, I'd say that it's not a good idea to be wandering around in the dark as you could get lost if you're not used to the neighborhood. It's not a downtown neighborhood where there are shops, restaurants, excellent lighting, interesting sites, landmarks and people walking the street at night, etc. Up until 20 or so years ago, it was open, flat fields with nothing there. There are large tract residential and commercial areas there now, surrounding the arena for a wide expanse on each side.

If there is any way you could save money for one cab ride (going back to your hotel) and take the bus up there for the event and stay overnight in downtown Sacramento (a real city), my guess is that you'd enjoy that more than staying right near the arena. "Boring" for a young person on foot, in my estimation.

As said, I'm not an expert on public transportation in the greater Sacramento area as I always have a car. Sure hope someone here can help you.

When are you coming to the area? Looks like you'll have time to plan.

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

Thankyou 'marlySF', I appreciate your assistance.

I must be quite lucky, the arena in my home city has a bus, train and tram (trolley-car) that all service the near-by area, so for the events that do finish by 11pm, patrons have the travel option of public transport - although the majority do drive or taxi to the arena.

Some cities where the arena is located away from downtown or public transport will provide a bus shuttle service for patrons after an event to get them to a location such as the nearest train station or downtown area - however I can only assume there is not a sufficient demmand for such a service in Sacramento at the moment which is quite understandable.

I will weigh up the option of traveling by taxi to and from the arena to my hotel, compared with hiring a car for the 24 hours I am in Sacramento.

Thankyou.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

I'd recommend staying around midtown or downtown, walking distance to Sacramento attractions and renting a car to go the concert. Driving really is the best way to get around in this region, except around downtown/midtown. The Citizen's Hotel is absolutely gorgeous, although i've never stayed there. There are a couple of rental places around town and fairly economical.

8. Re: Arco/Sleep Train Arena - Public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 03:16