We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

maryland
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

We will be visiting my inlaws in Sacramento. We spend too much time just sitting around on their couch. When I suggest we do something 'sightsee-y' they inevitably suggest going to Old Sac. I know there has got to be more than Old Sac to see there. (After 14 years of visits I have got my fill of Old Sac)

We have small kids so kid friendly suggestions are appreciated. We dont' drink wine so vineyards are out. Not thrilled by shopping. Love outdoors or historic sights. How about some gold rush or ghost towns? Any suggestions?

thanks! pokemom

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

In Sac itself there's the state capitol of course, it has historical displays (like old rooms set up in 19th century style), plus a large arboretum on the grounds with all sorts of trees, from all over the world, but unfortunately there isn't a very good signage or interpretive stuff for the arboretum.

There's also Sutter's Fort at like 28th and L Streets I think. Not too impressive a structure but they have period costume people and shoot offf cannons in the evening.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

Pokemom-

A few things come to mind other than Old Sac, how about Funderland? Since your children are smaller this could be a very delightful thing to do...located at 1350 17th Ave. in Sacramento.

Also the Folsom zoo, it's not huge and about a half hour or so away. If memory serves me, there's also a little kids amusement park next to that as well. Both have websites providing information and pictures.

Sutters Fort is pretty cool with the period clothing and the activities but I don't think the little ones will be as captivated as the grownups.

3. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2006, 23:17
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

The Jelly Belly museum is in Fairfield and is great fun with kids (and adults).

The Sacramento train museum is always a favorite with our son as well.

Sacramento, CA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

A daytrip to the bay from sacramento is popular. Amtrak downtown sacramento will give you more information. It's a cruise and rail day trip for the whole family.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

A fun place to take kids is Fairytale Town, a little amusement park across from the Sacramento Zoo in Land Park. Also, check out the zoo - always interesting for kids and adults. The zoo has a summer concert series. Check out this link: saczoo.com/2_happening/_event_music_2006.htm

Every Friday evening at 5 pm there is a free concert at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown Sacramento, at 9th and J Streets. Local bands. A lot of people bring blankets or chairs and their kids. It is fun, free entertainment and good people watching too. There is a beer garden (adults only) and there are vendors where you can buy sodas and snacks. Another fun family activity would be to rent bikes and head out on the American River bike trail. You can start in Old Sac but my favorite part of the trail is out near Folsom. Taking the kids to Folsom Lake for an afternoon would also be nice, you can go to Beal's Point, off of Auburn-Folsom Rd. The Nimbus Fish Hatchery is always fun for kids, it is off of Hazel and 50. Also, there is a boat service called the River Otter Water Taxi that leaves from Old Sac and takes you down the Sacramento river, where you can get off and get something to eat at Crawdad's, a floating restaurant. I know you are sick of Old Sac but these things just happen to be there. There are so many things to do in Sacramento in the summer, you just have to seek them out! I hope you enjoy your trip!

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

You might like to take a day trip to the Gold Country about 1 hour east of Sacramento and travel along route 49 which is the main North/South highway through the area and will take you to most of the interesting towns there. To do this, take either Interstate 80 east from Sacramento to Auburn where it connects with Highway 49 or take Highway 50 east from Sacramento to Placerville where it connects with Highway 49. Your small kids will probably especially like the many state parks there that have a lot of history such as Columbia State Park (which is actually an authentic Gold Rush town that is preserved in that state). Here are some links where you can get more information on doing this.

http://parks.ca.gov and then enter Columbia SHP in the search box in the upper right corner of the homepage.

http://www.calgold.org

www.totalescape.com/tripez/trips/goldco.html

www.malakoff.com/goldcountry/maintcgc.htm

The towns themselves have suprisingly good restaurants, too.

8. Re: sacramento daytrips & sightseeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 15:16