We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotel for the conference centre

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Budget hotel for the conference centre

I am planning to go to a conference at the sacramento conference centre (15 and J i think). I need a budget hotel. Clean and safe.I have found a Days inn at 228 Jibboom Street for $55, I love to walk. It says 1.4 miles. Anybody know of a better choice? What about this walk. Is it along a safe route? Any restaurent ideas with the same criteria? Safe, not fancy, but different. Thankyou

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

It's not my favorite area. It's not bad during the day. In fact it is a rather pretty walk from there to Old Sacramento, there is a paved bike trail along the river. The problem is that it attracts more than it's fair share of homeless. I wouldn't walk in that area alone after dark.

Did you look at the Vagabond, Inn Off Capitol Park or others close to the convention?

Another option may be the Sacramento International Hostel at 925 H st.

http://www.norcalhostels.org//sac/

It is in an old Victorian Mansion. I'm not sure if they have private rooms but I know the common areas are quite nice.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

No.

Anybody know of a better choice? What about this walk. Is it along a safe route? - answer, NO, not in a particularly safe area, it is isolated, near homeless encampments and is a tough neighborhood.

For less expensive, yet workable hotels, check Vagabond and Holiday Inn near 3rd and I, J streets.

I'd recommend the Holiday Inn Express on 16th.

Simply put, there is a reason that this property is charging you $55.00- and those reasons are the same ones that should keep you away.

There are plenty of dining options for you near the Convention Center and those hotels- we can narrow it down by price and/or cuisines.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

Having worked in downtown Sacramento for over 30 years I would not want to walk around there after hours. I commuted from Carmichael by RT (bus and light rail) which was fine during rush hours. Any other time, NO, and used the car.

BTW as we go to Anchorage often used to think that was safe downtown after hours. Not anymore.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

There is a Motel 6 by the I-80 freeway. The distance is similar, about 1.5 miles, along J Street, L Street or N Street. But the area is much safer, walking in day time or night. You can take a RT bus too, along L Street and J Street. (The one that goes to Sacramento State University I believe). Or a RT light rail along R Street.

Map:

http://goo.gl/maps/9Y6Ur

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

That Jibboom Street address for Days Inn, thar the OP mentioned; if I remember you cannot walk into town as it becomes a viaduct over the railroad without sidewalks. Those motels over there were established after I-5 was put in and were for those with a car

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

Thanks folks. Your comments are very helpful because i cannot visualize the area. A hotel search of the area also brings up these at the low end.

econo lodge 711 16th St., Sacramento, CA, US, 95814

Quality inn 818 15th Street, Sacramento, CA, US, 95814

I don't need fancy at all. A safe walk or short bus is no problem. So your advice about Jiboom street at night or barriers to walk were good.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

Either of those around 15th-16th streets are much more convenient to the convention center. The area is not bad, especially between there and the convention center. I wouldn't walk too far north of there after dark.

There are lots of great restaurants around 16th and J down to L street and also around 18th at L and Capitol.

Regarding walking from the Jibboom street area, yes you can via the paved bike trail on the levy that takes you directly to Old Sacramento. Then you can cut under the freeway at I or K streets. You just don't want to walk that alone after dark.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

So ...I just happen to have some business to take care of downtown and felt like going for a walk. Usually I'll just make a couple of laps around Capitol Park. But today I wanted a change of scenery so I made one lap around the park and then headed up 15th street and took a look at the hotels you're looking at.

Of the two I think I would go with the Quality Inn for both location and outward appearance. I spoke with the manager at the Quality Inn and she informed me that they are in the final phase of a complete remodel. The location of the Quality Inn is quieter than the Econolodge and the lobby of the Quality Inn is much nicer. Plus they have a pool and it's closer to the convention center. And the rooms are recently remodeled. Econolodge looks a tad shabby on the outside and is on a very busy street.

Good luck.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

thanks tripjunky. You have made my choice much easier.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget hotel for the conference centre

If you stay at the Quality Inn then you should take a little detour at least once between there and the Convention Center and walk past the old Governors Mansion at 16th and H.

There are a few historic churches around the area. Also, there is a good dive bar with live music, the Torch Club, just around the corner from the Quality Inn.

You can take your walks around Capitol Park, check out the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament at 11th and K and walk down around Old Sacramento.

Have fun