We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation near the airport

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,750 posts
431 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation near the airport

Need a hotel recommendation near the airport for our last night before we fly out the next morning. We will be coming from Sequoia NP. Thanks!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

Hi. I hope this will be at the end of a very successful roadtrip (considering your DE badge). A couple of questions:

Are you returning a car and do you need a shuttle? Also, is budget and level of amenities an issue?

I can recommend the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham. Not super close to the airport but right off Highway 5, Richards Blvd. exit. I stayed there 3 times recently. It was very comfortable. A little dated. Loved the staff. No restaurant on site but they have a very nice breakfast in the morning, a little bar on site (for a glass of wine in the evening in the fireplace room), a Denny's across the street, and, most importantly, an airport shuttle.

Also, the Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas gets good reviews. I tend to use that chain but have not stayed at that particular one. It also has an airport shuttle and is much nearer the airport.

Do you have a favorite chain hotel (?) as there are several out in that airport area, in the area of the HIE, but I'm not sure what you specifically are looking for. Would you like to be within walking distance to restaurants (or a restaurant, as that area can be spread out so it might just be one restaurant next door, depending on the hotel choice).

Also, when are you coming? Not right away, right? Have a great road trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,750 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

Thanks MarlySF,

We are doing Napa, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Sequoia in September. We are Marriott, Hilton and HIE reward members so usually stay with them. Would like to be close enough to get to a restaurant or have a meal at the hotel in the evening. Husband likes a big hot breakfast and a fitness facility. We do not need a shuttle and will be returning the car to the airport.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

I'm jealous --- September is a very nice time to be visiting all those beautiful areas. You might want to start with the HIE ---- like I said, I haven't stayed at that particular one (I stay at the downtown one) but they should have their standard morning continental breakfast and obviously a fitness room. They get really good reviews.

I'm not an expert on the SMF area (I fly out of SFO) and am only familiar with the Hilton further into Sacramento, in the Arden area. That's too far away for you. If you start Googling those favorite chains though, you might hit a Courtyard or something related to the Hilton brand. They would all be in the area of the Holiday Inn Express though.

In case you aren't flying into SMF to start your trip, it's not like Atlanta or SFO (both huge hubs) so it doesn't have every single chain right next to the airport. It was built out on agricultural fields. Things may have changed in the last couple of years since I picked someone up there but a good bet would be to start with the HIE and if that doesn't work, there are probably other places in the area called *Natomas* that would suit you.

There are plenty of hotels in the Natomas area (and they would be fairly new, as the area was just fields 20 years ago), but it's good you have a car as you might need to drive to the Promenade center or some other huge shopping area for a restaurant, depending on what you pick. There are a lot of "big box" and very large chain restaurants in the area. Not an area with little restaurants you can walk to.

Let me know if I can help further and maybe someone will come in who has stayed there recently.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 19:01
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,718 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

I'd stay in the downtown/central area of Sacramento. There is nothing out by the airport. Natomas is fine, and pretty convenient to the airport, but as noted, it is an area with a lot of newly-build shopping centers with chains and all of that. Central Sacramento is much more interesting - and even though you are only there for an evening, it will be September, so the weather should be great and it will be light well into the evening, so you can take better advantage of that in the middle of the city. There is a Marriott Residence Inn on 15th between K & L - newish hotel, very close to the Capitol and also within easy walking distance of a lot of restaurants. And to get to the airport, it is a straight shot on L to I-5, which you would take all the way to the airport. Super simple.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

I'd say the same thing, if the OP had the last full day in Sacramento but she said "near the airport" and we don't know, as yet, what time they are arriving in town. It "sounds like" --- from her post --- that they are arriving from their road trip in the evening and wanting to go to dinner and have the breakfast in the AM and hubby gets the fitness room and they can rest and get up for their flight back to Atlanta.

From her post, it doesn't sound like they want to do the full Sacramento touring experience. She said "airport." If she's arriving at noon that day and wants to tour, it's a different story.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,718 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

Yes, I do realize that the OP said she wanted a hotel near the airport :-) However, this is Sacramento, so there isn't anything actually near the airport. The airport isn't nicknamed it Yuba City International for nothing. And this being a travel message board, people often make suggestions that don't fit the exact criteria of what an OP has asked, but may actually meet the needs of the OP better than his or her original plan.

But you are right, we don't have enough information from the OP to know whether she should prefer a place to crash or would like to stay in town where she could see a few things and have an evening out. I am just giving another option to staying in an Anywhere, USA area - if that is what the OP wants. The travel time difference between mid-town Sac and the airport and Natomas and the airport is maybe 15 minutes, so mid-town Sac is a decent option prior to a morning flight.

Anyway, for my personal travel style, I would prefer to spend my last night somewhere reasonably interesting, even if I only had a few hours in the evening to have dinner and a bit of a stroll around town, so that is what my recommendations tend to favor.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

My travel style is the same as yours, november, but the OP will fill us in. The unfortunate part is, if they spend 2 or 3 hours in Sacramento, per se, they'll probably wish they'd spent the day. Sometimes people just want to sleep. Maybe they'll come into town earlier, from their visit to Sequoia NP and have time?

I was just going by what she told us. She's got expertise in road trips so likely has it figured out as to how much time they have available on their itineerary, both in the evening and the next morning.

I know where the airport is (being a native) and, as I said, it's out in the boonies, but way short of Yuba City. I go to YC a lot also to see family and that's a far shot past SMF. SMF is close to Woodland though. That's always an option. One of the nice things about SMF is that the traffic isn't bad getting there, unlike some more metropolitan airports.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,750 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

Thanks all for the advice.

Our plans are to drive from Three Rivers, CA on a Tuesday morning and arrive mid afternoon to the Sacramento area. We could stay in the downtown area and then drive to the airport the next morning.

We have visited Reno, Sacramento, SF and down the coast to LA and San Diego on a previous road trip so am a little familiar with the Sacramento downtown area.

We will not go any further north than the Napa Valley on this road trip. We were just in northern California last July to tour the Redwood NP. That was part of our Pacific NW road trip that also included Washington and Oregon and the other national parks there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

If that's the case (since we didn't know when you're arriving) and you're familiar with Sacramento, definitely use November's suggestions. There are so many good restaurants in the Midtown area that it will make your head spin.

Now that we know that and you were asking for a hotel recommendation and you have HIE points, I stay at the Holiday Inn Express on 16th and G. It has the same breakfast as all the HIE's and a fitness room and free parking and is near the restaurant scene. We've had some threads here recently about staying in that area. It will take you a little longer to get to SMF, but as long as you account for early morning traffic, it's not that much longer.

There are other hotels, as November suggests, but I only mention that one as I've stayed there several times recently and it is freeway close.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendation near the airport

My earlier post didn't go through but I was suggesting that you stay in Downtown /Midtown also.

HIE or Marriott Residence Inn are both within walking distance of great local restaurants. And it's only about 10 minutes farther from the airport.

The Natomas hotels are all fine I'm sure. There are many chain restaurants near Truxel and I-80. If this is what you are looking for then it's probably best for you to read the reviews on TA and choose what you think fits you.

From your recent posts it sounds like Downtown /Midtown may fit you better though.