We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day to see San Francisco

Starkville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day to see San Francisco

I will be in Sacramento and will have from about 10:00 p.m. Wednesday night until 9:30 p.m on Thursday night to visit San Francisco. My flight is a red eye out of Sacramento around 11:30 p.m.

I will not have a car. What would be the best and safest bet to get to and from San Francisco? What should I do with my luggage? What are the top things I should try to see? How can I get around in San Francisco?

Thanks for your help!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

You arrive at SMF at 10 pm? Your options for getting to SF are very limited. Certainly no public transport at that hour (no train, no bus). The last train from SAC to SF is 10:50 pm. Your best option may be to stay at a hotel in SAC overnight. Then the next morning take the Amtrak Capital Corridor train to SF, the first one is at 6:30 am I think. Leave your luggage at your hotel for storage. Then when you are done with SF take the train back to SAC to your hotel, then back to SMF to fly out.

In SF you can get around using buses or walking. For things to see and do in SF, go to the San Francisco forum and read some of the top questions on the right side of the page.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

Thanks for the help. What stop should I get off at in SF?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

You do know you have duplicate posts on your question. Advisable to delete one of them....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

You need to go from Sacramento to the Richmond, Calif station, where you can connect with BART (commuter train into SF). The Amtrak Capitol Corridor train is pretty much a commuter train from Sac to SF. Be aware that there may be delays along this route, so don't plan too tight a schedule.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

Coming back from SF to SMF I believe you can get off the Capitol Corridor in Davis and catch a Yolobus to the airport.

I have not done this myself so you will need to check out their schedules.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

Except OP needs to pick up luggage from his hotel. So maybe he should get a hotel in Davis.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

Doing that route myself numerous times (and just getting back from 3 days in SF), the only thing that makes any sense to me, with that timeframe, is to rent a car at the airport (after the conference), sleep fast (wherever the conference hotel is), and then get up about 4am and drive I-80 to either Richmond or North Concord/Martinez BART (our BART station of choice) and get to the City early and take a tour.

We're natives of the Bay Area (well, I'm really a native of Sacramento but have lived half my life in each) and it doesn't make any sense to me to be taking a Megabus or the Capitol Corridor. You can't plan on how long those transitions will take.

MStravel ---- If you want to make the most of your time, getting from Sacramento to San Francisco in that short time, you will need to get a car. Otherwise, you could get stuck, in a number of places. The public transportation between Sacramento and San Francisco is "leisurely." It's not designed for someone with your schedule.

If you can drive, rent a car at the airport on Wednesday night (is that next Wed?), sleep really fast and wake up extremely early. Park at a BART station. Take the train in. Get to SF by 7am or so. The trains will be massively crowded with commuters but they keep a regular schedule.

Your SF questions can be answered on the San Francisco Tripadvisor Forum.

Coming back, you'll need to leave SF by around 7pm or so, if you take BART and park at a station.

Will you be able to rent a car for a day? It's the only option that makes sense to me, timewise, doing the route you mention quite regularly.

www.bart.gov

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

I have to agree. You're going to chew up a ton of time on public transport and you have none to spare.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
282 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

I can't give you advice on how to get to San Francisco but if you only have one day there here is my suggestion. Take a bus tour! We visited last year and took the City Sightseeing tour for 48 hours and got on/off at our leisure. They go around pretty much the entire city so you can a flavor for it without trying to walk it all. We then decided what we liked best and went back. So for one day take the bus tour. You get these down by the waterfront or other places in the city. The only thing we didn't get a chance to do is take the cable car as the lines were to long and not worth the wait for us.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day to see San Francisco

Thank you for the information!