We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

London, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Hi

According to my guide book, there is a very nice drive called Rim of the World Tour. However, we just realised that it would be a very long drive (114 miles). We need to save all our energy (my husband is the only person driving) to drive to Death Valley the next day.

We live in Europe and would like to see something different from what we usually see.

Can someone be so kind to tell us a shorter scenic 2 hour drive from Bernardino that we can just spend a nice afternoon - good easy walk in nature.

What is the weather be like in the beginning of October.

Many thanks

Celine

15 replies to this topic
So Cal
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Rim of the the World Highway is just one of the routes up to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear and other mountain communities. There's no need to make a full loop - you could just drive up as far as you want and have a leisurely afternoon in the mountains then return the same way. E.g. Cal State San Bernardino to Lake Arrowhead and back would be under 50 miles. It's a windy mountain road, so not speedy, but definitely scenic. It would certainly be different scenery from what you'll have on the way to Death Valley.

I am struggling to think of anything scenic that close to San B for only two hours of driving. Really, the mountains are your only bet, and times tend to be longer.

Weather: sheesh. Well, today in Ontario it's about 98F, and San Bernardino is 97F. Chance of thunderstorms. It's been in the high 90s and 100s for most of the past month. (Lake Arrowhead, by contrast, is a balmy 81.) October should cool down, but keep an eye on weather.com.

London, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Hi Jenazz

Thank you very much for your information. I will definitely go for Lake Arrowhead.

Looking forward to visiting the beautiful California.

Celine

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Big Bear Lake is a bit farther than Lake Arrowhead but is higher in elevation, a quainter little town, a bigger lake - and, IMO, just a much nicer place to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Many thanks for your information. If we can, we will drive a bit longer.

We will probably go through the scenic road of CA-18 to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake from Riverside where we stay. Upon our return, do you think it will be a good idea to go through the short cut through CA-330 and pass CA-210 as the map suggested? Is it a scenic road as well?

Celine

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

The 330 will have some nice views on the way down - it's pretty steep and winding though - more so than the 18 - so the driver will have to watch the road. And, yes, pick up the 210. It's the quickest way back to Riverside (my mom lived there and we drove to Big Bear up the 18 many times).

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

If you're staying in Riverside, you might also find the Mission Inn interesting if you have another spare few hours.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Ooohh - great idea about the Mission Inn. Highly recommended!

London, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Thank you very much for the information and suggestion.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

Is there a reason that you are staying in San Bernardino in the first place-- such as, you are visiting family? Because it is not a place that gets much tourism, and is a poor base for seeing Southern California--unless you are there for family or business reasons.

London, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day

I have made a mistake. I was in a rush and did not do enough research before I book the hotel.

I needed to find a stopover between Joshua National Park and Death Valley, I thought staying somewhere by the lake in the Rim of the World Tour, suggested by my guidebook, would be nice and tranquil, so I picked a hotel in Riverside thinking it must be near the lake by a river!

Only a few months later did I realise that it is quite far away from where we want to be. However, my husband is happy not to change the venture.

Reply to: Suggestion of a scenic drive in a day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Bernardino