We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crestline VS Running Springs

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crestline VS Running Springs

My boyfriend and I are looking for a change in environment and are thinking of moving to the mountains. I'm looking at Crestline and Running Springs right now. My job is in downtown Riverside so I will be commuting at least 4 days a week, hopefully 3 at some point. I'm looking for a small town feel, that is safe. Possibly going to stay and raise kids here so which has more families?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

2 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crestline VS Running Springs

I am not very knowledgable about either, but I live in Yucaipa and would recommend it. There are some nice homes near Yucaipa Regional Park, which are near an elementary school, off of Oak Glen Road. They are a 10 min. ride up the hill to Oak Glen, which is an apple farming mountain community. It is also close to the "back way" up the San Bernardino Mountains.

Yucaipa is a growing small town, which is somewhat spread out. Some parts like the area I just wrote about and Chapman Heights are more modern and some are more rural. I moved here two years ago and love it.

We have annual community events, which get good turn outs. The Arts and Music Festival will be coming up the first weekend of May. This now includes soap box derby races. The Christmas celebration got a bit bigger this year and called Winterfest. It was held in the same area as the Arts and Music Festival, uptown. We had a cool, free, Octoberfest weekend a couple of years ago, but it wasn't repeated last year.

Oak Glen, techically part if Yucaipa, has events that are sponsored by Riley's Farm at Los Rios Rancho. There are easy hiking trails there too. There is also a petting zoo in Oak Glen. Apple harvest time has u-picks. Savy locals would rather not visit Oak Glen in September, though, at least on weekends when out of towners come in. A liitle latter in fall the leaves on the trees change colors.

Live Oak Canyon area of town has a fun pumpkin patch.

We are about 15 minutes from downtown Redlands, which has a lot of events, including a free summer music festival (Redlands Bowl), featuring family oriented concerts (no rowdy drinking, etc.). The University of Redlands has a very good 4th of July fireworks show and the city has an afternoon celebration in the park near the University with an all volunteer band that plays marches and other music in a large gazebo type bandstand.

Lots of stuff to do in Yucaipa and the surrounding area that is about community and family.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 05:29
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crestline VS Running Springs

To keep this travel oriented, let me suggest you come out for a visit to the two places you asked about as well as to Yucaipa/Oak Glen. Have a nice day sampling what life is like here. Have a nice lunch and enjoy!

I have been thinking that I should add that Yucaipa has no big box stores. Most of the citzens don't want them, so the city council won't approve any offers. There is quite a bit of land to build on, but we want to keep from building up too much. The biggest store is a Big Lots. Actually, Smart and Final was going to build, but pulled out of the deal when they considered they would not make much money here!

We have three grocery stores, kind of spread out, and a Fresh and Easy, plus some farms, of course. To go to a WalMart or Target it is necessary to go into Redlands or Beaumont (the latter has a beautiful WalMart superstore which is well stocked and in a beautiful area). We do have a few fast food places here and there, but also have non chain restaurants, and Oak Glen, of course, has places that sell apple pies and other apple products and sandwichs. Our uptown has small businesses that are a couple of cute little family type restaurants, and some thrift stores that have great finds (I bought a pretty twin bed in one of them). Oak Glen has gift shops to browse. We also have a CVS, two Rite Aids, and a Walgreens, which helps for last minute needs since there are no big box stores. There are no industrial buildings or big warehouses in Yucaipa, so no big business boom out here. Which is one reason I say it feels like small town. We do have a golf course, which I suppose does not sound small townish, but it kind of blends in with the surrounding scenery of low rolling hills.

It sometimes snows here, but most of the time does not stick, except on the higher hills and in Oak Glen. Near the regional park that I mentioned in post 1 it is high enough elevation to maybe get snow that sticks once a year. Not so much that it is hard to drive. So far this year, no snowfall. That is disappointing, but seems to be the way this year goes.

I don't really know if driving down from Crestline or Running Springs could be a problem during years when they get snow. Hopefully, someone will answer with detailed information on those two towns or offer to have you private message them to discuss it.

Your thread may end up getting closed if not travel related, although it is my understanding we are within guidelines to assist those considering a move to a location with info on that location. So, if you would like to discuss anything I mentioned, you are welcome to send me a private message by clicking on my screen name.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 05:04
Reply to: Crestline VS Running Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Bernardino