We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little League Regional Tournament

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Little League Regional Tournament

Hello! My daughter's team will be representing Oregon at the Western regional softball tournament in San Bernardino at Houghton Stadium. We are trying to figure out where to fly into, and where to stay. The girls stay at the field, but the parents and families are on their own. We have heard that the area near the stadium may not be the safest place to stay...can anyone give me suggestions and/or tips? Since we have to be there for a week, we would prefer to not break the bank, but clean and safe are important!! Any information or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,072 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

That looks to be the baseball stadium right off the 215.

Fly into Ontario, maybe stay in Rancho Cucamonga near the 10/15 interchange. There is a mall, restaurants,Bass Pro Shop,hotels...

San Bernardino has some pretty sketchy areas.I would avoid that town entirely.

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

Thanks for the suggestions. The sketchy is what I had heard, but wondered if there were places people were familiar with that would be ok. We would like to be as close to the stadium as possible!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

I think there are a couple of hotels near the State University, which is very close to the little league center--used to be a Ramada, but not sure now. Otherwise, there are places on what's called "Hospitality Road" at the southern edge of the city along the 10 freeway. It isn't glamorous, but its all service/travel/dining oriented and as safe as SB gets. That's about 5-7 miles from the stadium. Just avoid downtown (if there are any hotels left!) Farther out options (10-12 miles) would be in my home town of Redlands; several budget options although most of them aren't in the quality part of town--but safe enough.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,118 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

>>>We would like to be as close to the stadium as possible!<<<

No you don't, the area isn't great.

Fly into Ontario and stay in the area near the 10/15 interchange.

http://goo.gl/maps/pGwIE

Victoria Gardens and Ontario Mills are nice shopping areas with good restaurants and hotels nearby.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

Please listen to vnrose and don't stay way out in Rancho Cucamona or Ontario. (The other posters are not from the San Bernardino nor anywhere near it.) You don't need the extra traffic when you have a long stay.

Redlands is about as far as you want to go for a place to stay, the Hospitality Lane area of San Bernardino as it is less of a drive, has many choices of restaurants, and is perfectly safe. The Hilton Garden Inn on Waterman just around the corner from Hospitality Lane is nice. I have been in there three or four times when meeting with friends, though I haven't stayed there. It is quite lovely and newer and not bumped up against the freeway like the actual Hilton, which is older, that is on Hospitality. There are a few other new ones up the road as well. This is a very safe area and the Hilton Garden Inn is on a nicely landscaped corner. I have walked near there with no problem or concerns. It is on a major street with a Sizzler across from it. Close to Coco's, Mimi's Cafe, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Black Angus, Starbucks, Elephant Bar (a bit further up the street), TGI Fridays, Red Lobster. The Hilton (called "The Hotel" now) has an excellent Sunday Brunch in their pretty restaurant. There are a few nice looking high rises in this area that are home to offices of the County of San Bernardino (and, no, none of them are welfare offices). My brother in law works in one of them. In fact, my sister and I were just there two hours ago picking him up as he got off work. Other high rises are home to businesses and one is the University of Phoenix. There is a lovely duck pond next to the Outback, in front of one of the major businesses. The duck pond has been a favoite area of one of my friends and I to have lunch. We used to eat at the Oscar's next door (which closed when the lanes were being made for the express bus that now runs to Cal State San Bernardino).

I believe one of those newer hotels I mentioned is an Extended Stay Hotel, so you might want to look into that, although that is pretty close to Costco, and further away from the majority of the restaurants.

In Redlands, there is a sweet looking ivy covered motel called Dynasty Suites. It is set off the street a bit, freeway close but not bumped up against the freeway as the other lodging in Redlands. It is walking distance to fast food places, including (if I remember correctly) a Bakers - the best burgers, etc., since 1955. There is a Coco's nearby, an IHOP close, and more restaurants in downtown Redlands as well as at the Citrus Plaza outdoor mall. Redlands has a 14 theater cinema. There may be a movie theater in the Cal State area that I don't know about. The only other one in the immediate San Bernardino area is in downtown SB, next to the California Theatre of Performing Arts. I am a volunteer at the beautiful and historic California Theatre, which has excellent offerings, although the season has ended for this year. Several of our shows have had sold out performances. I have also worked in downtown San Bernardino and have used public transportation there. Personally, I don't have a problem with being downtown during the day, just feels lonely at night, which gives one a creepy feeling of course. Downtown SB is not pretty (except inside the Calif. Theatre and at the government center). It makes me sad, but there there is no problem driving through there if you need to.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32953-d235418-…

I wish I could offer some ideas about the Cal State area. I had family who lived there and one who went to school there. It seemed quite pleasant to me. We all live in the Yucaipa/Redlands area now.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 04:18
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

You can fly into either Ontaio or Palm Springs if you find a flight to PS, but Ontario is closer. If you decide to stay in Redlands, it is just a little but further from PS than Ontario.

If you let us know your travel dates, either vnrose or I can give you some idea of what might be happening in Redlands, as there aways seems to be something going on in the community and even if you stay on Hospitality you can visit Redlands.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 04:24
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

I just realized there is also the fairly new Hampton Inn in Highland. Reading the reviews, I saw some guests were there for the soccer competions, which I believe are near the little league regionals.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32494-d1226669…

This Hampton Inn is freeway close, but not bumped up against it and a pretty easy drive over to the Cal State SB area where the stadium is. It is actually somewhat along the foothill area there in Highland, so a pretty nice view of the mountains or hills from some rooms. It is part of a complex with a couple of restaurants on Native American land, although I think the hotel and restaurants are owned and run by the businesses themselves. I have eaten at the Mexican restaurant. I go to church not far from there and was taken out to lunch by friends. The food is good and the restaurant is attractive. (But it gets packed on Sunday afternoons.)

Across the street from this attractive complex on one side of the street is nothing but houses and a small dirt lot with a bus stop in front (waited there many times - it is safe). On the north side of the street is a large WalMart that has a grocery section. Also, a Subway Sub, some small shops, and an Applebees. There is a nice gas station with a mini mart as well.

One if the reviews says that Patton Hospital is down the street, but that is not true. It is on Highland Ave., but no where near and quite a drive away to the west and you would not have any reason to drive past it or near it. What is a close drive down the street is Beaver Medical Clinic, which could be handy if needed. A short distance from there is an Albertson's center with a CVS, a Carl's Jr., another Mexican restaurant, and a Chinese Restaurant. Also down there is a Walgreens, a KFC, and a Wendy's. I know this area of Highland pretty good because I have attended church there for years. In between the Walgreens and St. Adelaide's Catholic Church is a Starbucks, a Popeye's Chicken, and a McDonald's. Oh, and across from the church is a Bakers Burgers (which I think I wrote as beginning in 1955, but began in 1952) and another CVS. This is all south and southwest of the Hampton Inn by a few long blocks.

To get to the regionals from Hampton Inn Highland it looks like you only need to hop on the 210 freeway and head to the 215 north. If you think you would like to do something in Redlands or go to a movie there, hop on the 210 freeway and head south to the 10 east and, boom, you are right near the exit for downtown Redlands and the Krikorian 14 movie theater. Of course, of you like the idea of Hospitality Lane are, you would be staying far away from there.

A benefit of the Highland Hampton Inn is there is not a lot of street traffic in the area, which is far different from Hospitality Lane and a bit different from Redlands Blvd. as well.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 08:24
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,118 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

Don't listen to posters, who even though they purport to live in the area, apparently do not know their way around.

The Four Points Sheraton by Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga is 17 minutes from the Little League stadium (15.3 miles).

http://goo.gl/maps/cVWm2

The Hilton Garden Inn on Waterman is 15 minutes from the stadium (12.1 miles).

http://goo.gl/maps/oAB2T

The Dynasty Suites Redlands is 18 minutes away (17 miles).

http://goo.gl/maps/Kh3Ze

The Hampton Inn Highland is 14 minutes away (13 miles).

http://goo.gl/maps/YsmdJ

So the hotels are roughly equidistant from the Little League stadium and I think Rancho Cucamonga is the nicest area, but the proximity of the restaurants, shops and multiplex theater complexes at Victoria Gardens and Ontario Mills give you a lot to do in a small area.

http://www.victoriagardensie.com/dine

www.simon.com/mall/ontario-mills/stores

Not to mention being next to the home of the minor league Rancho Cucamonga Quakes baseball club if you have time to catch a game.

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t526

http://goo.gl/maps/06Qz2

Edited: 10 July 2014, 23:47
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

Excuse me?! I have lived in this area for 55 years. I know my way around the area by car, bus, train, and even foot!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little League Regional Tournament

Don't worry, RR, the poster specializes in knowng it all--which is fine, some of us do!--but there's no need to dump on other contributors. Its true that the stadium area is a straight shot along the 210/215 from the area he recommends, but there is nothing at all wrong with Hospitality Lane either and Redlands actually has some historic charm (although not where the motels are, generally).

Edited: 11 July 2014, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about San Bernardino