We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Dallas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Folks, I am going to be in San Jose for 3 days in December 2008, and was wondering if some of the locals/experts could advise on a hotel to stay a couple of nights at. I am in town to take a lab exam and probably will only do one day of sight seeing.

I am looking for something preferably close to the cisco site, under 5 miles & with transportation provide to/fro the hotel & airport.

Thank you for all replies in advance.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Which building at Cisco? There's over forty of them spread across north San Jose & Santa Clara.

Take a look at VTA Santa Clara's website for bus routes & light rail routes. The light rail will go by most of Cisco's campuses, the airport and right up North First Street. There's a few hotels along that route.

Dallas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

eep. sorry meant to post the address in my original. here it is. 150 West Tasman Drive San Jose, CA USA 95134.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Yep. The VTA Fright Rail is your link between CSCO and SJC. Going away from SJC are the Hilton and Westin at the Santa Clara Convention Center/Great America. Next to SJC are Doubletree and Hyatt.

I vote for the Doubletree/Hyatt location because it's closer to downtown SJ and more lively possibilities in the evening. The Santa Clara location sort of maroons you if you don't have a car.

The free frequent VTA shuttle bus #10 gets you between the Light Rail/Hyatt/Doubletree location and the terminal. It's also walkable to the terminals. If you're from Dallas, you'll probably do AA and the north terminal. Doubletree and Hyatt also have their own terminal shuttles.

I hear good things about Doubletree.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

You will mosy likely want to be at the Marriott Santa Clara if it fits your budget. It is not super cheap but probably the closest. I have been there several times, and spent the night once. The facility is very nice (pack a swimsuit) and the food and beverages are good. It is maybe a mile or two away.

Dallas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Thanks 2Shorties, its really close from what i see on google maps. I think it will work out for me just fine.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

The Santa Clara Marriott does not have good public transit access! Not even to Cisco! Don't stay there!

The Cisco location you will be visiting is adjacent to the VTA light rail station at Champion. I concur with DarthAnonymous' advice. You can hop on light rail directly from the Doubletree and Hyatt to Cisco. Also, the light rail stops near Japantown and in downtown San Jose, which will be perfect for dinner and sightseeing activities, and even continues on to downtown Mountain View if you'd rather have dinner there.

http://www.vta.org

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Pull a map. You can take the ankle express. There is Round Table, thai, Pedro's mexican etc within a short walk. If you need public access be anti-green and get a car. Our transit system is a pain for the most part.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

I have a map, thank you very much. It's 2.5 miles each way between the hotel and Cisco. A reasonable distance when walking for the sake of walking, but I doubt sunnbeaminn wants to be hot and sweaty in this particular situation. Also, there is a slight chance of rain in December, rendering the "ankle express" option moot.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

Sorry if I offended, I've had a bad few nights. Rain is not all that great for public transportation either. I wish I was more patient to deal with it, but would not consider it on a business trip in a different city. I live 3 blocks from a light rail station and my last job was a few blocks from Tasman with a light rail station right in front of my building. it would have taken 1 1/2-2 hours at least to take light rail with a train switch in the middle. I sure wish we had a Moscow-style subway.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a hotel to stay close to the Cisco Building.

No worries, I'm sure you didn't mean it rudely! I understand the public transit conundrum. I had convenient bus service to/from home and work when I lived in San Jose, but it was sometimes quite a hassle to use, as the bus was less dependable than light rail. C'est la vie!