We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

I will be flying in to San Jose on a Tuesday evening and need to get door-to-door transportation to my Aunt's home in Mt. View. Can anyone recomend a good car/taxi service? I have a list from the SJC website, but it is very long and would love a recomendation for a reputable service. Thanks!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

I've only had the need to use a taxi from SJC a couple of times but I can't say I've had much complaint. I've used Yellow Checker Cab and Green Cab. Green Cab was most recent and I was in a Prius and was pretty impressed at how quiet it was.

Another option would be to use Super Shuttle. You'll have a couple more stops but would cost less than a door-to-door cab.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

If the Aunt's home is along a public transit route, here are the options.

VTA (Valley Tranportation Authority) bus 32 gets you to Mt View's San Antonio shopping center and along Middlefield Rd for $1.

VTA bus 22 or 522 will get you to anywhere along the El Camino Rl in Mt View for $1.75.

VTA Light Rail will get you to downtown Mt View for $1.75 or $3.50 if you take the wrong one and need to transfer.

Caltrain will get you to downtown Mt View or San Antonio shopping center for $4.25.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

DarthAnon - My aunt is 90 and in very good health....plays golf every week!....she just didn't want to tackle the airport traffic at dinnertime to pick me up. I don't blame her. If I get arrive at 6:45 pm, could I get to Mt. View before dark? Which route would your recomend? Which light rail would I look for...so I don't have to transfer(ha)!? Thanks!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

Getting to MV before dark is doable while the days are long right now.

sunset today is 8:21pm. end of civil twilight is 8:52pm.

On June 20, it's 8:32pm and 9:03pm.

aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

To catch the bus or light rail, connect with the free bus #10 at the terminal curbside. It'll get you to either the 1st St rail stop or the Santa Clara bus stop in about 5-10 minutes.

For light rail, you want the one that's labeled Mt View. It goes by Metro/Airport at 6:54pm and every half hour after. It takes 40 minutes to get to downtown Mountain View's terminus.

Buses 22 & 522 both go by every 15 minutes. Catch them heading towards Palo Alto. Bus 22 takes 40 minutes to downtown MV (El Camino and Castro). Bus 522 takes 30 minutes.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

Mountain View is a straight shot down 101 from SJC. From the time you climb into a cab your talking a 10-15 minute drive even at that time, in that direction.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

Followup for anyone else reading this forum: The transportation area is well marked for Taxis and shuttles. You basically get in the shuttle bus that is next in line....same with the taxis....and the prices are fixed to each nearby town or city and posted clearly. The shuttle fare to Los Altos was $26 and I did tip. I was asked if I would wait, and did for about 7-9 minutes, but I wound up being the only rider at 7:00 pm on a Tuesday.

7. Re: Need Help...Transportation from SJC to Mt. View

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about San Jose