We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NorCal
9 posts
Save Topic
San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

Hello All,

I have a daughter that is looking at attending San Jose State next year and I was wondering about the school and the surrounding areas. It sounds like a nice city, but we come from a small town so I guess I am being cautious about the city life for my daughter. Can anyone here tell me more about the school, maybe their reputation with the locals, and the areas around the school? As a parent I am interested in knowing if the area is safe for my daughter and if the locals in that area are friendly, like the university students etc? She will be living on campus and will be traveling back and forth to the Spartan Stadium area as she will be a student-athlete. Any information on the stadium area? Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.

Lee

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

San Jose is famous for being one of the largest city with the fewest crimes; San Jose State is the same. The Spartan Stadium is in a dark semi-industrial area so I wouldn't be out there all by myself after dark. Just use your common sense and evrything will be ok. If she goes off binge drinking with a couple strangers and then disappear like that stupid girl in Aruba, that's not common sense.

NorCal
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

Daurang,

Thanks for the response. I sure hope my daughter stays safe. How bad is the gang activity there in San Jose? My daughter will be a student/athlete so she will be going from the campus to Spartan Stadium a lot. It doesn't look like there is a shuttle or transportation back and forth of any kind. Is it safe to walk there and/or is there some kind of transport offered? Maybe we'll have to get her a car??

I like to hear from the locals and appreciate the honest input.

Thanks,

Lee

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

San Jose, in general, is a friendly city. SJSU has more of a feel of a commuter school, still, after all these years, so there's not the kind of "town-gown" division you find in some university towns.

I don't have any crime stats to cite, so I can't be of much help with the safety of the area or the stadium. Wait a bit for folks who have lived in the area or gone to school there to make recommendations about walkability, day and night, bus service and the like.

San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area, but often it has a smaller feel than San Francisco. It's largely because SJ's urban core is so much smaller than SF's.

Gang activity, which you mentioned in a previous message thread, has, in good part taken place in eastside San Jose, i.e., not SJSU area.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

You might check out the VTA site to see if her routes are covered and at what hours. Although there's decent transportation in the core of SJ, sometimes it's just nicer to have a car. On the other hand, parking around SJSU is a pain. You might want to find out the costs associated with that.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

San Jose state has a great engineering program

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

It's about a 2-3 miles from the main campus to Spartan stadium. After dark I wouldn't walk alone in and around Spartan Stadium because the area is dark and deserted, although I've stopped by and passed through it thousands of time and without incidence. I wouldn't worry about gangs because they at middle and high school level relatively far removed from SJSU. Your question about transportation to and from the Spartan Stadium is best addressed by calling the sports program.

NorCal
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

Wow! You all are terrific! Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. Just from the folks here I can see that San Jose has some nice people in the area. I have been doing a lot of research and I am feeling very good about San Jose. My daughter was also interested in some southern California schools as well as Nevada. After doing some investigation I can see that San Jose is a smart choice. It's a state school, and some people look at that as a minus, but with some of the "other" schools we've looked at I can say that I am pleased with SJSU and the area. Truthfully, some of the so called "Top private schools" did not impress me as much as I felt they should for the 40K price tag.

Thank you all!

GO SPARTANS!

USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

As a lifelong resident who has lived both near the SJSU campus in the nicer residential neighborhoods and near Spartan Stadium (and an alum), you daughter will be fine at school. Brand new BEAUTIFUL on-campus housing has just been completed. There is a school provided shuttle bus that runs from campus to Spartan Stadium since the overflow parking lots are located there. Commuting students park in the Stadium's lots and take the shuttle in. In addition, as another poster mentioned, you should check out VTA's website (www.vta.org). This is our local transit agency.

You daughter will really enjoy her experience at SJSU. Although a car is always a nice item to have, it is quite expensive to park on campus and could be more of a hassle than it is worth.

Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose, CA safety and SJSU

Hi Lee

I went to SJSU as an exchange student from Australia last year and was also a little worried about going to a school in a city and my personal safety.

However, never once did I feel unsafe and I would often go running around the campus after dark.

There is a campus shuttle that goes back and forth between campus and Spartan Stadium however I'm not sure how late it goes (check the website).

If she is playing in a team sport though there is likely to be a bus or other students who could give her a ride. Parking is a nightmare!

She is so lucky, I would love to go back to SJSU I had a wonderful time and the new housing looks fantastic.

Amanda

Get answers to your questions about San Jose