We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

San Jose will be my home base when coming in October. Would like to go into SF for a day but don't really want to bring car into city. Is there any place outside SF where I can leave the car and hop onto local transit to go to Union Square.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

Well, you can go to a Caltrain commuter rail station in San Jose or elsewhere in Silicon Valley and take the train to San Francisco. The station is about a mile from Union Square, from there you can walk, take a taxi, take the busy 30 Stockton bus, or take the slightly roundabout light rail to Powell & Market. http://www.caltrain.com/site3.aspx

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

I'd just take the train then jump in a cab. Parking in the City can be awful hard to find in some locations, and expensive too.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

We generally take Caltrain when we go into SF - leaving from Diridon station in SJ or Santa Clara. Works well. Weekends there is a train every hour, trips are more frequent on the weekdays.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

Thank you very much for the information. Which Caltrain station in Zone 2 or 3 would you recommend that have lots of parking, and closest to the Freeway?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

http://www.caltrain.com/stations.html

They all have parking. It's hard to find free parking though. Sunnyvale has a small lot for free parking that is on the south side of Evelyn and to the west side of Mathilda, not to be confused with all of the rest of the train station parking which costs money. Mountain View station has some limited free street parking around it. A lot of the smaller lots like Palo Alto's will fill up full on weekdays during morning rush hour.

The train corridor is mostly a mile or two away from the freeway (Hwy 101) the entire way up the peninsula and then gets close from Millbrae on up.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

You can also drive to Millbrae (near the SF airport) or Fremont and take BART in to SF.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

I would drive up to a BART station, and take BART in the city - much easier, and you en up in SF in a nicer neighbourhood.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

I'm with Simba!

We had a day to spend in San Francisco before flying back to the UK on Wednesday.

We were able to walk from our hotel (the Westin at SFO) to Millbrae, hop on the BART and be on Market Street in less than 30 minutes. A breeze, even with 3 kids and my Mum in tow. Looked like there was plenty of parking available too.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

We've done both - drive to Millbrae and take BART or take Caltrain. We actually like doing the Caltrain option better. There are several buses and a couple lightrail lines that stop at the 4th and King Caltrain station.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jose to Union Square,SF by car and/or transit

BART has its advantages, mainly that it runs more often than Caltrain (except in rush hour). But it's a substantial drive from San Jose to Millbrae--a good half hour during one of those rare times when there's no traffic, longer in one of the usual traffic jams. I'd take Caltrain.