We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deluxe Hotel in central location

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Coast
Level Contributor
250 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Deluxe Hotel in central location

We will be in San Jose for a few days for an event. As we will not have a car, we'd like to stay in a location that will allow us to walk to stores, restaurants, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

Downtown is pretty compact. Check out the Fairmont.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

There are other nice hotels in Downtown San Jose, like the De Anza, a few blocks from the Fairmont. There was also the Hotel Montgomery, right next to the Fairmont, but I don't know what it's like now that Sheraton Four Points has taken it over. The only one I'd call deluxe would be the Fairmont.

East Coast
Level Contributor
250 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

Thanks for the suggestions. What do you think about the location of the Valencia on Santana Row vs. the downtown hotels?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

Good question. The Valencia would be good for walking around in Santana Row, which has a lot of upscale stores. There's another shopping mall across the street--Valley Fair, and some additional shopping along Stevens Creek and Winchester Boulevards which border Santana Row. Neither Stevens Creek nor Winchester is much fun to walk along--they're big wide streets with fast traffic. Transit access to Santana Row is OK, but you have to catch busesat the transit center inside Valley Fair.

Downtown is better for restaurants, for walking around, and for accessing the light rail/transit (e.g. to go to Japantown). Santana Row is better for shopping--there's not much shopping in Downtown. Last time I was at the Valencia, it was quite a young peoples' scene in the bar, I don't know if that's still the case.

East Coast
Level Contributor
250 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

Thank you - that was exactly what I needed to know to make a decision.

6. Re: Deluxe Hotel in central location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about San Jose