We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie moving to Campbell

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
915 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie moving to Campbell

My 20 yo son is moving from Scotland to Cambell, he won't have a job at first, are there any kind of clubs he can join to meet new friends?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,380 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

Is he a student? If so, there will be plenty of choices at his school. If he isn't a student, what is his motivation for moving to Campbell?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

november_moon asks a very good question. What is the motivation for moving to Campbell of all places? For what it's worth, they have a decent small downtown with some Irish pubs.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

My daughter lived in Campbell for a year, and what the others imply is true--not a lot going on. There is a cute downtown, but the rest of the town is spread out and either residential or shopping centers. Most of my daughter's social life was in San Jose and Santa Clara, where she had gone to college. Is he a churchgoer? That's often a good way to meet other young people. Or perhaps he can find a club that centers around an activity such as hiking or camping. These are not all in Campbell, but many are in the surrounding towns: …meetup.com/cities/us/ca/campbell/ Also, Campbell has a community center that offers classes, but I would imagine that it's more popular with preschoolers and seniors than with young adults.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

He is moving to live with his dad, he has his green card and will be looking for work.

His dad has been out in the area for about 12 years so he doesn't really know him that well but I'm sure you will agree that it is a bold move.

He has already graduated with an honours as he went to University here in the UK at just 16.

I want to be able to point him in the right direction.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,847 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

There is a single meet up site - put in Campbell.

People who are singles get together and enjoy an activity in a group setting.

singles.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/campbell/

if he enjoys volunteering (to help out and to also meet others)

…meetup.com/cities/us/ca/campbell/

If he is into skate boarding, visiting local skate parks is a s good way also to meet others

…campbell.ca.us/recreation/parks/parkinfoSka…

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

Downtown Campbell has changed a lot in recent years, for the better. If he landed a job in one of the trendier restuarants downtown (Sonoma Chicken Coop, Aqui or Rock Bottom Brewery for example) he would instantly have a group of friends. Restaurant work in my 20s gave me the best memories of my life, and it is where I met my wife. There is also a popular park on Campbell Ave where people gather for pickup basketball games and to walk/run the trail. There are also several upcoming concert and sidewalk events. http://www.downtowncampbell.com/events.php

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,380 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

Downtown Campbell is nice - low key, but a reasonable amount going on.

I live in San Jose - moved here for college and stayed. I've met most of my friends through school or work. Being 20 and already a college grad, he'll likely be younger than most if not all of his coworkers when he does find work, so he may have a struggle to find friends his age. They'll mostly be in school still or working low-level jobs. Unless his degree is in the arts, then there are likely to be people of all ages.

Volunteering is a great idea - so is meetup.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

Here are some social and good networking events in Campbell.

On the main downtown strip of Campbell on Campbell are a number of clubs. On weekday nights, there are some regular events, like trivia pursuits.

Barnes & Noble bookstore at Pruneyard has some regular clubs/events like Scrabble.

The area will have Toastmasters and NFL (National Forensics League) speech & debate clubs that are active.

The popular park that 2Shorties mentions is Los Gatos Creek park at Campbell Ave. There are also regular training groups (eg Team in Training), etc that are active with running events, etc. If anybody's like me, I can begin 30+ mile round-trip walks/hikes/runs from this spot into the Los Gatos hills (where I proposed to my wife...) and back.

I'm not sure what PGdenizen is thinking, but response #3 seems a little lacking unless one is looking for some megapolis hub.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 19:34
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

Campbell Community Center at Campbell Ave at Winchester Ave has many things going on and is a hub of activities. There are pick-up volleyball and basketball games. Those are great ways to meet people. A one day drop-in pass allows access to those, the gym and the pool all day. The pool is pretty good. I just swam laps there last night 830pm to 10pm. The passes are also available as 25 visit punch cards and other arrangements. There are many classes available (including traffic school if you get caught with a driving violation). There is a track and a skateboard park.

There's a Hooters at Hamilton and Bascom Ave. The chicken wings are popular there.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 19:38
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie moving to Campbell

D&J Hobby shop at Campbell Ave and San Tomas Aquino is a hub for a lot of hobby enthusiasts and their regular meetings. (RC, scale models, gaming, etc) It's a rare find these days.