We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting things to do in San Jose

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
577 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting things to do in San Jose

Any recommendations on nice and interesting things to do in San Jose ?

Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,329 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

As the TA sticky post says, and I highly recommend it -- have a look at the FREE San Jose Guide link on the right side, read the first page of the forums please and if you have a specific question I am sure TA folks can help you.

The more info you provide on your travel style (who is with you ) and what you like to do the more focused help you can get on TA.

Here is one link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33020-i417-k51308…

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

well if the Sharks are in town, I would see a game, one of the best places to watch Hockey. Even if you are not a fan, you will enjoy it. The discovery Museum is great if you have kids, lots of night clubs downtown, Paramounts Great America, is a big amusement park, close by in Santa Clara. Museums, Japanese Garden. It really depends on what you are looking for.Campbell is a great little town to stay in that is a few minutes away, tons of shops and restaurants nearby.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

San Jose is rather short on interesting things to do outside of restaurants and shopping. There are a few things, that have been mentioned - The Tech Museum and the art museum downtown are good. There is some wine tasting close by, if you are interested in driving a little ways, there is some good hiking, the beach is about 30-45 min away... What sorts of things are you looking for and how long do you have? And are you looking for things specifically in SJ or things in the local area as well?

Israel
Level Contributor
577 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

Thanks for your replies.

Just looking for interesting things to do inside SJ, not the surroundings.

I like nature, special little museums (not so much big museums), beautiful gardens, beautiful streets and buildings, and more

Edited: 28 March 2012, 00:58
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

Odd but great small museum... This is the most overlooked in town for sure.

http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/

It is maybe 8 blocks from downtown, and it is a safe and pleasant enough walk.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

The San Jose Museum of Art qualifies as a small museums, you could see it all at one time without feeling overwhelmed. But it's still got some interesting stuff in it. The museum is also architecturally interesting, because it's got a section built in the 19th Century and a modern section.

There's the San Jose Rose Garden, close to the Downtown. http://www.heritageroses.us/

Here's a Downtown San Jose history "walk," though as far as I can tell there's no map or directions associated with it. The sites are pretty close to each other, so hopefully you can follow it. Don't expect a pristinely preserved historic district. In Downtown San Jose historic buildings and sites are interspersed with new buildings good, bad, and ugly.

www.sjdowntown.com/Downtown_History_Walk.

In terms of beautiful buildings, I think of the City designated landmarks are likely to fall into that category. Here's a link to some of the recently designated landmarks, along with some others that the city was thought was notable. You can click on the internal links for photos.

sanjoseca.gov/planning/…landmark_picts.asp

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

While you are downtown, walk through the SJSU campus. This was the first college in CA, started as a teacher's college. Some of the original buildings are still there - the bell tower and a couple others. And there are some interesting buildings from later periods. The library is new and provides a nice contrast to the historic buildings. The library usually has good displays about SJ history, and there are good views from the top floors.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

The San Jose State library is interesting in that it is a combined public library/ college library, a rare thing.

9. Re: Interesting things to do in San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about San Jose