We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

I would love to got to their Fright Night, but my boys are 10 & 11. They like scary movies, but they have never been to a Haunted House. Has anyone been there and know if the Fright Night is really nightmare scary or just a fun time Haunted House? Appropriate for 10 & 11 year old boys? Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

I don't think it is either. The history of the house (some of it not so truthful) is the attraction of the Winchester Mystery House all year round. it is not just a Halloween Haunted House. I do not know what they do their that night but I am pretty sure it is not just oriented at children.

Have you looked at the price of admission? I would be sure I wanted to spend that much.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

Your kids are on the "edge", so it depends on how mature they are, and can the handle "live" monsters?

Here are the details, it is a seperate admission, and they convert the house into a Haolloween "Maze".

winchestermysteryhouse.com/frightnights.cfm

Other options in the area, California's Great America in Santa Clara offers "Haunt", designed by the same folks that do the number one Halloween Event in the Nation, Knott's Halloween Haunt. Included in the regular park's admission.

cagreatamerica.com/hours-directions/hallowee…

And Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo has Fright Fest, once again included in the regular park admission.

frightfest.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/

So can your kids handle it? You are the best person to judge that. Look at the photos. One point, the monsters are not allow to touch you (and the same goes for the guests, no touching the monsters). Now, they do get close, and invade personal space, plus have noise makers to get your attention.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

Thanks for your help. I"ve decided not to go, it isn't worth the risk of $180 if they are too scared and I have to leave. The other suggestions look great.

Cheers!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

I was about to say that I wouldn't take MY 10 and 11 year olds either to Winchester House OR Six Flags. Great America's site gave no details, as far as I could see.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

Here is a third party website with some good details in what is involved at CGA's Haunt.

scare-zone.com/wordpress/archives/tag/califo…

6. Re: Winchester Mystery House Fright Night for Halloween

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:18