We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transit

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Public transit

I'm in San Jose for the next two months for work and was wondering how I'd fare without a car. I'll be based in South San Jose (near the Santa Teresa light rail station) but I found a place to live in downtown San Jose. I've read that the public transit isn't so great but my main concern as a single woman is safety more than anything (which I've also read mixed reviews about). I've found a car rental deal that actually isn't too bad for a two month time frame but obviously the price is much higher than using public transit. What are your recommendations?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transit

What are you going to do besides going to work and going home everyday?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transit

If light rail will work for your commute, you could think about skipping the car, but sign up for a car sharing service like Zip car.... the City of San Jose has a web page about car sharing at http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=3707

You may want to look into costs for weekend rentals so you can explore while here.

Randy

Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transit

On weekends I'd like to explore the local area, hit up SF, Santa Cruz, wine country, etc. During the week I'll probably be too busy to do much apart from go to the gym after work.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transit

If you have worked out your daily routine (work, gym, grocery store, etc) using public transit, then weekend car rental may be the way to go. Just make sure you don't need too many transfers between destinations and don't have to wait for a bus late at night.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transit

Yes, if the light rail will work for your commute and you will be living downtown, then I think you are fine without a car. The light rail is safe - no problems there. Just make sure that your work location is actually a reasonable walking distance to the Santa Teresa light rail. This is a suburban station, designed more for cars than pedestrians, but I think that the sidewalks are fine. You can map the area on Google Maps and use the street view to "walk" your route to work to make sure.

In downtown itself, you will have everything you need for daily life - groceries, drug store, bars and restaurants, etc.

For weekends, some places you will be able to visit by public transit, but others you will need a car - so weekend rentals as needed would work.

San Jose
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transit

Yes- echo what everyone has said. Public Transit in San Jose is not the best but light rail works well between Downtown and Santa Teresa. In fact better since you are not fighting traffic. You could get to San Francisco by taking Caltrain. Also renting car on weekends using zip car mkes sense so you can explore places like berkeley, Palo Alto, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Wine country etc etc. List is endless of all the things you can do here

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transit

Public transport could work fine if work is on a main public transport artery. Just study the maps, like at Santa Clara VTA's website or Caltrain and base yourself also on one of the arteries and you'll be just fine especially if you can avoid any kind of transfer/correspondence between lines. The bus stops here are still kind of dumb and almost never indicate the progress of the next bus(es).

Day trips become tricky. For a combination of SF and Santa Cruz, something in reach of both Caltrain and the VTA's Highway 17 Santa Cruz express bus could work.

Wine Country and etc would be a bit trickier to handle with public transportation, just as challenging as it would be in Montreal. Thievery and violent crimes in this area aren't quite as bad as they are in Montreal, but they're still a bit much for my own comfort level.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 15:49
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transit

canadianwanderer - are you here now since your first post was a month ago? How is it going and do you have any more specific questions after getting around a bit?

9. Re: Public transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about San Jose