We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

GA
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

Okay, so, I'm the person who had another thread that got deleted for going too off topic what with talks of moving and stuff. I get that, but thing is, there went all of my suggestions about eating places and stuff to do, too D:

So, pertinent details only in this one! I'm leaving the east coast on early Monday May 5th. I'll be driving through and hitting the Grand Canyon the next day. We'll drive from the Grand Canyon to Palmdale, then from Palmdale up the coastal road to Santa Clara, where we've booked our hotel at (on the El Camino Real strip). That's right in the San Jose area.

Since we won't be in Milpitas, I'd like some more specific advice on where that aforementioned Asian market is. Remember, we're looking for cheap and adventurous food places, not fine dining experiences.

We've got 7 days total. One of them I will spend with friends. 2 of them we will spend in San Francisco. 1 of them will be spent in Monterrey finishing off the CityPASS at the aquarium. That leaves us 3 days to hike and add other things to our itinerary. Where's the best hiking close to Santa Clara? Or even a little further away is fine. I'm looking for easy or moderate level trails, something my travel partner could do in her tennis shoes and nothing that's too difficult. I don't need specific trail names -- if you guys can just point me in a good direction, that'd be great!

It doesn't look like any shows are coming to San Jose while I'm going to be there. Well, other than Tim McGraw. I could very easily see country music here, so I'll pass xP. Any hidden gems I should be aware of?

Thanks again all!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

In San Jose: New Almaden Quicksilver County Park. It's both a natural and historic area. In the 19th century, New Almaden was one of the richest cinnabar mines in the New World. Cinnabar is the ore that yields mercury (aka qucksilver), which was an essential mineral for refining gold and other precious metal ores. So after the 1849 California Gold Rush, New Almaden thrived and had lots of workers from the US and Europe and a small community, much of which can still be seen. Hikes are easy to moderate, some hilly, and some go to historic mining remains. The park museum is open only on weekends.

sccgov.org/sites/…AlmadenPark.aspx

A little farther away, south on 101 near Morgan Hill: Henry W. Coe State Park, one of the largest state parks in Northern California. Not too crowded much of the time, and a good place to see birds and some small mammals. There are some hills, and trails vary from easy walks to strenuous backpacking trips.This park has camping.

www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=561

Still farther, but doable as a long day trip: Pinnacles National Park. It has two entrances, from Hollister and Soledad, and no road connects the two sides of the park. The east entrance from Hollister is closer, about 85 miles; it’s about 100 miles to the west entrance from Soledad. IMO, the east side has more things for the new visitor, including the main visitor center and store, a nature center that is open on weekends only, and more major trailheads. Some hikes go to talus caves where bats nest and give birth, but the caves are gated when bats are in residence. Go to the Soledad forum or search for Pinnacles National Park on the CA forum; we’ve talked about it occasionally, partly because it became a full-fledged national park only last year. Oddly, since the east side of the park has more activity, we have fewer conversations about it on the Hollister forum.

www.nps.gov/pinn/

On the less natural side, San Jose has the Tech Museum and the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum (ancient Egyptian culture, including a large collection of mummies and artifacts).

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

Rubbing my hands eagerly. :) You are in my hood now. Where on El Camino and which motel?

Off the top of my head...and my regular spots.

Kotetsu on El Camino for ramen. (word on Yelp must have gone viral that this is a Orenchi rival as we saw a huge crowd there Friday night but wait still reasonable) Get their home made gyozas (potstickers) too.

Sumiya on Homestead for izakaya Japanese small plates. Pitcher of beer and share tapa style. Skewers of meat - called yakatori. Chicken skin, gizard, Kobe beef, asparagus wrapped with bacon are some of my favorites. Watch your tab as things can add up.

Cooking Papa on Homestead. My kitchen away from home. Hong Kong style fast and comfort foods. Noodle soups and rice dishes. They specialize in a dim sum dish called chuen fun - rice noodle wrap stuff with various things. Watch them turn the rice water to the thin wrap in the open kitchen.

SGF Korean Tofu on El Camino and Lawrence.

Shabuway on El Camino. Japanese hot pot.

There isn't great pho around here but let me simmer about that before I send you to the East side.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 05:05
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

Hiking - Mission Peak is still a good one and it's only about 20 mins away. Almaden as mentioned is good too. Also Alum Rock Park has some rim trails with views. Rancho San Antonio in Los Gatos Hill.

You don't want to rent bikes to ride Los Gatos Creek trail? Going from Campbell down to Los Gatos is a really nice outing.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 05:08
4. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:11
Edited: 28 January 2014, 05:11
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

So sorry... hiccups from phone app...

Go to San Pedro Square Market on Fri or Sat night for live music, beer, and pizza. The patios or the garage area is nice.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

For hiking check out bahiker.com. It list practically all hiking trails in the Bay Area.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

3 more food recs and I promise I am done...

Gulzaar Halaal on San Carlos in SJ -Pakistani/Afgani. Great plates, lentil soups, flat bread. They can be slow during peak hours ( the local hospital staff love love them) but worth waiting and the owner is super nice.

Com Tam Thanh on Bascom in SJ for pho and broken rice dishes. Also avoid lunch hrs rush as the medical center is next door.

Pho Thang Long on El Camino and San Tomas in Santa Clara for pho in a pinch. Ok but you can do better but this is cloest to your hotel...

Who else is hungry now? :p These are all wallet friendly and adventurous spots I hope. Bon appetite!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

OK, I am personally working on an Ealry Jube trip to the SF Bay Area, the one thing I have set is the San Jose AIrport Hotel from the 15th through the 20th due to a convention (Host Hotel), and need to be in Los Angeles County on the 21st.

The week before, looking at 3 nights in a San Francisco Hotel, and then some time near Travis Air Force Base to visit my niece. Much of my San Jose trip is set due to the group's schedule, but here is a link from the Hotel's website listing things to do in the area...

www.sanjoseairporthotel.com/explore-en.html

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

I remember the previous thread, but I don't remember which "Asian" market was discussed. The San Jose area has big Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean & Filipino markets. Do you remember what kind of Asian it was?

Mitsuwa, one of the big Japanese markets has a great ramen place in it and a decent nabe (kind of) place.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Day Trip to San Jose Area

Scott - they were going to stay in Milpitas on Calaveras and I mentioned there was a huge Asian strip mall with Ranch 99 and a multitude of affordable Asian food. I don't think OP is looking for a market but options to try interesting cuisines not readily available in Georgia.