We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to San Jose

Miami, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to San Jose

Hi there

I would like to visit San Jose for a holiday with the intentions of moving here. What are the best suburbs to live in and away from airport noise? On that note are there suburbs to avoid that are right under the flight path? Where I live now I do not have these kinds of problems.

Also what are the best jobs to apply for there? I work in human resources and administration.

Scott

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,713 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to San Jose

First you need to work out your visa situation (assuming you are not legally allowed to work in the US yet). If you work in HR then of course you should look into that line of work, although HR admin in the US may be radically different from HR in Oz.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,342 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to San Jose

The airport flight path probably the least of your worries. Sure it would be nice to visit as a scout trip for a potential relocation. But this is an expensive and desirable area. You do not have skills set that would make an employer sponsor you - or do you?

I live 10 mins from SJC and never hear the planes. I think they fly over the 87 freeway for some of the flights. Go to city data forums for relocation related stuff. http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/

Why did you chose San Jose?

Miami, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to San Jose

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes this is really a long term thing for me as I need to apply for my green card having no family or relatives there, and no potential employers. I am at the age now where I would like to start this process and would be visiting the USA for the first time in the next 12 to 24 months.

My plan is to get the green card because I would like to make a permanent move there and not just go for a couple of years, and I can imagine the human resources would be much different there also.

Miami, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to San Jose

I am looking at San Jose because of the population size and climate, where I visit the USA I am planning on going to LA and San Jose among some other places in California. What is San Jose like to live in?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,356 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to San Jose

Scott V, your questions and answers are not travel related, they are about relocation. TripAdvisor does not allow relocation discussion so your thread may be deleted by staff.

"Holiday" questions would be about hotels and things to do, not jobs and places to live.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to San Jose

#5: I'd be sad for the staff to delete this thread since my favorite means of travelling is to relocate!

San Jose is a big metropolitan area of lots of cities by other names, like Sydney where you'd never find any city limits with just your feet and eyeballs. Within San Jose city limit may actually be the farthest from the answer that you seek. Its handy airport for starters, is on the border of San Jose and Santa Clara.

The best place may be somewhere that optimizes your commute to wherever, optimizes public transportation accessibility, and optimizes your proximity to other things of interest to you. There are a gazillion possibilities here.

The loudest flight paths will be San Jose airport and Moffett Field, but as #2 says, ruling out these areas, rules out most all of your good options, until you begin venturing close to Oakland airport or San Francisco airport...

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,587 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to San Jose

I hope that this thread stays open too.

As far as what SJ is like to live in - I think it has a lot of really good things going for it. The lifestyle is fairly low key (not a lot of posers or people hung up on stuff like belonging to the right country club, who your grandfather was, or any of that stuff). We have a really diverse population, so no matter who you are, you can find a niche. We also have a very integrated population, so on any given day you are likely to interact with a lot of different types of people. Also, cultural diversity leads to culinary diversity - we have some fabulous food, and pretty much any type you want, you can find it.

Unlike a lot of large cities, SJ is fairly spread out, so within the city limits, you have a lot of suburban areas, which is good or bad, depending on your perspective. The downtown core is more densely populated, but it isn't a large area. And, as you have noticed, we have several cities and towns connected to SJ. Most have their own identities and existed before the area got so large and blended together, so you have places like downtown Campbell and Willow Glen that have their own atmosphere.

One down side of life in SJ is traffic. Because our city is so spread out, we don't have great public transit, so choosing where you live in relation to your job can be very important. And if you find a job that is convenient to public transit and can also find housing on the transit lines, you can avoid traffic issues quite a bit. So, before thinking about where to live, definitely get your job set up. That can make a big difference as to where to look.

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to San Jose

You need to find an immigration forum. This is a travel forum.

You cannot arrive as a tourist and take employment in the US. You need to secure the proper visa first and probably the job that goes along with it, then enter as under a visa status that qualifies you to become a legal permanent resident. If you are Australian citizen with a recent university degree, there is another kind of visa you might qualify for, but you really need to research immigration first.

You are a long long way from looking for places to stay in San Jose. Most jobs are not going to be in very desirable places and unless you have some stellar capacities, I can't see most US companies willing to go through the visa application process for someone in HR. If you had some unusual IT qualifications, maybe, but HR is a low-level job and rarely needs someone from outside the US. Even if you manage to secure one of the highly desireable H-1b visas, you probably won't be able to chose where your job is.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 22:01
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,342 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to San Jose

It looks like Scott also posted in city-data which is more appropriate. He says he is new to HR.

Scott - good to have dreams and goals. I would visit and have a good holiday as a tourist. Don't sweat the details when you visit like flight paths (?!? sorry this so random) and specific neighborhoods. You are way far from making those decisions. But we do have to do a reality check for you. Do your homework on what it takes realistically to move here to work and live in terms of visa and affordability.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 22:22
10. Re: Moving to San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 11:11