We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Santa Cruz, CA
1 post
Save Topic
SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Hello. My husband and I are traveling to San Luis Obispo for a couple nights very soon. I have been reading the restaurant reviews, but I am still not sure of where we should go. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions, for dinners or lunch. We like spicy, unique, flavorful food that is not too unhealthy or expensive.

I like nice atmosphere and could almost give up really good food for an amazing atmosphere (if there are any places that fit that description).

I am thinking about $17 per plate (dinner) or under.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Lunches:

Thai Palace on Court Street. Best Thai food I've had. Not much atmosphere, just a hole-in-the-wall place, but great food.

Flame Bay in the Network, on Higuera Street. Build your own stir fry, make it as spicy as you like! Again, not much atmosphere, we just like to take our's outside on Mission Plaza.

Dinner:

Le Fandango Bistro on Higuera Street. Not sure if you stay at $17 per plate, it might be a little more. Probably not amazing atmosphere, but it is pleasant.

Novo, on Higuera Street, great food and atmosphere, maybe this might be a fit? I'm sure there's some options in your price range too. http://www.novorestaurant.com/welcome.fsp

Another thought: Madonna Inn, the food isn't fantastic, but the atmosphere really is unique!

Bakersfield, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Not sure if it is Le Fandango but there is an excellent Basque restaurant in SLO. As the previous post says it may be a little bit more expensive depending upon what you order. The seafood is great; our friend from New Zealand loved it & of course they have some of the best seafood in New Zealand. If you go try the ciopino; the tomato broth is thick and fresh, definitely spicy and flavorful. The atmosphere is very down-to-earth, kind of old world French.

Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

If you're there on a weekend and in SLO the weekend is from Thursday 4:00 p.m. - Sunday and you like BBQ, you have to stop by Old Country Deli, corner of Marsh and Nipomo to try some of their BBQ. Ribs, chicken, sausage, Tri Tip all comes fresh off the grill.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

RUSure

Sorry to report that Old Country Deli is no more. I believe they're looking for a new location to re-open, but, for now, they're gone.

Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Say it ain't so. That was one of my two most favorite places of employment while going to Cal Poly, the other was Bull's Tavern, don't tell me that is gone too.

www.OldCountryDeli.net confirms that they are working on a new location, if you're in SLO on Thursday night they can still be found on Higuera with their portable BBQ trailers.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Can't remember why Old Country Deli left their corner. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just got tired of the fight with Foster's Freeze across the street who even took them to court over the "smoke" blowing over from their property. Old Country Deli won that fight, BTW!

As far as I know, Bull's is still around along with the "other" watering holes. SLO has changed so much the last few years. You won't recognize Los Osos Valley Road. Froom Ranch (Madonna property) is mostly developed and there's even a realignment of Calle Joaquin Road near the 101 with a new traffic light going in, which will make getting to Margie's Diner a little harder. But it will make it easier for those on the north side of Calle Joaquin to get on Los Osos Valley road for the east side of town.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Novo, on South Higuera, for sure. Sit outside over the creek, great flavorful food.

Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

They didn't own the building it was leased, I bet the lease ran up and so did the rent. I imagine they bough some property or found something with a more attractive rent.

Fighting over smoke, only in SLO first city in the nation to enact a non-smoking law.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

Yep, RUSure... SLO first city to adopt a non-smoking ordinance, but it didn't include BBQ smoke!

10. Re: SLO- Good Restaurant Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo